Looking for someone to go Stockton

slothparade

Good morning, looking for someone to come and fish Stockton sometime. Hoping for someone/ even a few to have a decent 4wds, preferably capable of recovering a landcruiser as all my mates won't cut it. 

I have a bit of recovery gear. Just my rig has been setup with touring and 4wd in mind, hence pretty heavy and the tires are pretty big. 

Happy to lend a rod or 2. 

I always started at 15 but usually ended up dropping to 12 , especially south of the wreck . It’s not the same place it used to be and you can’t drive in a lot of places we used to be able so make sure you know what the go is before you get there .it looks like the lavis lane entrance had been upgraded . One time I was there I my little Pajero we had this guy lob over the dunes to ask us to help get his truck out of a bog -we went down and was greeted by an F350 bogged down to the sills and a driver who had zero experience and even less idea of what he was doing . We started to dig it out and all the while this tool wanted to walk around telling everyone that this is his dads truck and if it drowns he will mill me and not do any work - I threw the shovel at him and told him to F off . He was lucky that a land rover club was there as they had to connect 3 of their trucks together end on end and drag this thing up the beach.  A set of maxi trax and a snatch strap will get you out of most bogs , trick is to know when to stop and recover - don’t keep trying to get out as you just dig in deeper so if you get bogged try going backwards and if that doesn’t work do a recovery - don’t keep trying . More importantly is what recovery points you have on your 4x4 - the things they tie the car down on a transporter are useless and never put a snatch strap on a tow ball  it can kill you . I also want to do some beach driving in my Colorado but I need to fit some  rated recovery points to the front first and I will also be looking at doing the same for the rear as towbars can  bend . 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

12  to 15 psi  and you will be fine on stocko   when are u goin there

Ahh, was going to drop lower to 5-7 as I'm running bead lock wheels. Either before Christmas or late January, unless I can get someone else to come along lol. 

13 hours ago, XD351 said:

I always started at 15 but usually ended up dropping to 12 , especially south of the wreck . It’s not the same place it used to be and you can’t drive in a lot of places we used to be able so make sure you know what the go is before you get there .it looks like the lavis lane entrance had been upgraded . One time I was there I my little Pajero we had this guy lob over the dunes to ask us to help get his truck out of a bog -we went down and was greeted by an F350 bogged down to the sills and a driver who had zero experience and even less idea of what he was doing . We started to dig it out and all the while this tool wanted to walk around telling everyone that this is his dads truck and if it drowns he will mill me and not do any work - I threw the shovel at him and told him to F off . He was lucky that a land rover club was there as they had to connect 3 of their trucks together end on end and drag this thing up the beach.  A set of maxi trax and a snatch strap will get you out of most bogs , trick is to know when to stop and recover - don’t keep trying to get out as you just dig in deeper so if you get bogged try going backwards and if that doesn’t work do a recovery - don’t keep trying . More importantly is what recovery points you have on your 4x4 - the things they tie the car down on a transporter are useless and never put a snatch strap on a tow ball  it can kill you . I also want to do some beach driving in my Colorado but I need to fit some  rated recovery points to the front first and I will also be looking at doing the same for the rear as towbars can  bend . 

Yeah, sounds like a bit of a entitled bugger. I've been in bonet deep mud lol, never been badly stuck in sand. Yeah, unfortunately I don't have any maxi tracks, only have the American military ones as it came in the arb recovery kit I got, for some reason it's a DMR department of main roads recovery kit, came with all sorts of nice stuff. I have 2 recovery points on the front, haven't found the back, have a winch 

I'm planning on putting a custom rear bar on sometime, were drawing up designs now. So thinking to install a rear winch in there or something. 

If you want, when you have your recovery points, happy to arrange a trip? 

Thanks for the advice, been a while since I was last in stockton and with such a heavy rig, have my concerns 

re- using a snatch strap on tow ball...... saw this being done and the tow ball let go. It went through the radiator, bonnet, windscreen, headrest then exiting the vehicle through the C pillar and was still going upwards when we lost sight of it.

That was a big ouch and very lucky there was no passenger

Jim

• Like 2

I have heard of it killing the driver, very big no no ! Modern tow bars typically have a removable hitch that can be replaced with a hitch that has an eye for  a shackle - much safer but not as good as rated recovery points mounted directly to the chassis. I have seen tow bars bent and even torn off .