Mixed Bag North Harbour Landbased 18/12/2022

JayC Fisho

Headed out to Little Manly with my pal early yesterday morning at around 7am despite of the rain and wind. Mate wanted to fish the last time before he go overseas for a vacation. Hooked up on a 45cm Trevally on first cast after burleying up, fought hard on 4lb line and spooked the trevally school away. Then we caught 2 breams and 2 leatherjackets and while netting the second one, we saw a few squids on the surface staring at the prawn heads we threw off.

Quickly checked if we are in the North Harbour aquatic reserve or not, tied a squid jig and successfully got two up, and then the trevallies came back again so we got back into landing a few more. Mate hooked up on a possibly 50 plus trev, couldn't stop it from diving into the kelp and got smoked. 

Then there were no more trevallies, we fished for one more hour only catching one bream, one tarwhine and two ludericks.

Wind began to blow heavier so we decided to pack up and get ourselves a decent breakfast nearby.

The photo doesn't do the fish justice because of the resizing (to suit the web's requirement)

The largest bream went 34cm and the tarwhine was 26cm.

Kept all the fish in a fish keeper so they were healthy alive, quickly took a photo and released the breams, ludericks and took the others for sashimi and fillets.

Should i keep the squid for future jewie bait or should I eat it? 😂

IMG_9337.thumb.jpg.ff529ccde41ab4b5e381e5fb1c81528d.jpg

Edited by JayC Fisho
  • Like 13

4 hours ago, Bluebenbomb said:

That's a beautiful, wonderful bag of fish. Hope you enjoy eating it. It's nice to get out with a friend, and adapt to your surroundings to maximise your profit - well done on the report.

Our family loves eating fish so much, they have all gone into our stomaches now 😌. It was a great feed

Edited by JayC Fisho
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pickles said:

Brilliant effort @JayC Fisho, you had a cracker of a session, well done. I always keep my squid for bait, but if you keep the heads and guts (2 best parts for bait) you can always eat the cape.

Thanks for the advice
But I thought people used the cape and then cut them into strips for jewie and kingfish bait ? ( from what I saw on the internet)

Also, how would u hook the heads and guts ?

10 hours ago, JayC Fisho said:

Thanks for the advice
But I thought people used the cape and then cut them into strips for jewie and kingfish bait ? ( from what I saw on the internet)

Also, how would u hook the heads and guts ?

Of course you can use cape/hood strips for bait, but if your going to keep squid to eat, the hood (cape) is better than the head  - tentacles of the head waving around attract interest- I usually usually use circle hooks unless live baiting & then Mustad Hoodlum in 7/0. Sometimes a snooded double hook rig - top hook circle, bottom hook Hoodlum. I usually only hook the bait once, if whole squid, through the tip of the hood, if the head, once in between the eyes.

hope this helps

Pickles

• Like 2