Kingfish bait

Aussie_fisher

Hi guys just wondering if squid or yakkas work better for kingfish bait? I’ll be catching live bait and attempting for kingies at Walsh bay land based. Yakkas are much easier to catch compared to squid of course, but I’ve heard that live squid make a much better bait. What do u guys think would work better? Cheers

In my experience live or freshly caught cut squid will out do anything else most of the time. Kingies are a bit weird and will take all sorts of baits when in the mood but will go past everything to get to fresh squid, live or cut, slather the ink on the cut baits for instant burley! Small, live yakkas seem to be next in line, especially if moving on a downrigger. 

I've caught my record on a servo squid. Spinning whole gar works well also love prawns. There no 1 set bait that will guarantee you a king, they will eat anything, bread, pilli cubes, chicken, probably even a sock. 

That being said, squid and yakkas are the normal go to bait, but like anything can be worth a try. Send me a message and I can give you a couple of shops which sell fresh squid, yakkas and live prawns 

• Like 1