How Many Years Have You Been Fishing?

Ken A

Just out of curiosity how many years have we all be fishing ? It would be interesting to tally it all up :biggrin2:

I have been fishing since I was about 5 years old so that's 40 years at it for me.

What about the rest of you ??

I'm still a newbie as I only started out in 2003 ( i was 23) :1prop: . I got hooked on to fishing (pardon the pun) after me and a few mates hired a houseboat on the hawkesbury and i managed to catch the biggest fish(40cm flattie) even though i was only usin a handline. Bought my first rod/reel combo soon after.

Cheers, Col

cut my teeth fishing for yakkas and leatheries off kirribilli and cremorne wharf from the age i could use a handline, as well as catching whiting at the entrance from day dot... im 30 now so about 26 years approx i would say... no doubt that serious fishing is alot less though.

Makes you blow your mind to think about it in that way....thanks ken for making me feel old :074:

Been fishing since my parents decided I was old and co-ordinated enough to not injure myself with all the gear - so started up at around age 28 :tease:

Nah - probably same as Kevvie - started at age 5-6 and am 30 now, so 25 years or so.

Never had access to a boat though, so all my NSW fishing experience is land-based.

Mondo

A cousin brought me a $10 packet rod when i was 5 for christmas and my dad took me to the spit bridge a few days later. First fish i caught was a john dory and ive never caught another one since. I'm 21 been fishing for 16 years.

Edited by gio

Fished as a kid whenever I got near water, then at about 13 got to go most weekends. From about 17 onwards got into game fishing big time and then stoped at about 33 as the family came along. Got back into general fishing as the children got older over the last 3 years and have gone back to the grass roots fishing with my kids.

It’s all new for me fishing the rivers, bays and the occasional bottom bash, but fishing is fishing and I love it.

Cheers

Martin

Same as most others started with my Dad and older brothers when I was about 5 yrs old. My earliest memory of fishing was going to my great uncles at Botany. I remember travelling in my dads Hoden special (2 tone salmon pink in colour) and I remember my oldest brother giving me a blood nose. Dad sold that car when I was five so it would be arround that time.

I am 40 this year so about 35 yrs. You would think I might have learnt something by now but thats what I like about fishing always something new.

Cheers

Trev

PS My eldest caught his first fish at age 3 a little bream under the roseville bridge.

My old man got me started. Don't really remember how old I was though.

I've been a bit of a weekend warrior since then, up until about two years ago when I stopped surfing and started concentrating on fishing 100% as a spare time pursuit. I have to say I won't be going back to surfing anytime soon. :biggrin2:

Shane

:1fishing1:

60 years for me, 30 of which was almost purely fly fishing for trout. It is only in the last 10 years that I have returned to general fishing, but still prefer throwing lures over soaking baits.

I started with my father in South Oz on the Murray River, then with an Uncle in the salt ( he had a shack at Aldinga Beach). Family holidays were at Robe back when they threw the Cray bodies out and you could get a chaff bag free to boil in the copper.

G`day Fellas ,

Well , I will be 66 on thursday , and my mother always said I was "Made" on the Hawksburry , and Born in Crown St , so by some rough calculation , I would say ....66 years and 9 months give or take week .

Do I win ....??????

Mick

Edited by OWZAT