How fast should a boat be for offshore

Damon7

3 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Sorry Noel, I don't agree.  We are talking about a 2T 22ft FG hull and max 10kts capability under ideal conditions. Factor in 2 adults, 5 kids, gear, provisions etc we are talking about 2.6T on the water ... add some breaking waves, high wind gusts .... and I doubt a rudder steer boat of that size, with that little power can be swung around or manoeuvred at the speed required. As you know, once you are knocked side on to a breaking wave you are very exposed to being rolled and capsized. .. you either run infront of the wave or turn to face it.   

barrycuda was 22ft 2.6T FG rig with a 200hp merc outboard when BarryC, Wayno and I were caught in a squall coming back from browns ... 3m seas, white caps ... I had the 200hp swinging side to side and throttle full down at times to get the boat positioned correctly.   That's just my experience with a hull of that size.  I was happy to replace the 200hp with the new 150hp ... as it gave me the same low down torque to push the hull around if I ever encountered those conditions again. 

Cheers Zoran

Hi Zoran thank you again 

Just so I am clear on this I believe you are right and would never take this boat threw a bar crossing or 3m breaking waves. I'm not saying it cant happen but I've not seen nor heard such conditions up here within the shelter of the reef. So I do 100% agree there and would not attempt what you have experienced in this boat. But not saying a more power would not still be desirable. Thank you

Damon.

My "guess", and it's only a guess, diesel motor, gearbox and shaft drive will be much heavier than any outboard, and that boat was never built "light" back then! Ready to go boating it will be exceeding 3t all up.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, noelm said:

There is a couple of things come into play here, this boat has a full keel and diesel power, completely different animal to any outboard, regardless of HP or potential speed.

Thank you Noel.

Can you explain a little more what you mean by completely different as I have only ever owned outboard boats before. Just so I know what to expect thank you.

Damon.

I understand what you're saying (lower centre of gravity, diesel torque etc) but its rudder steer ... and its still a 22ft hull, not a 30 or 40ft.   So being only 22ft it needs to turn and quickly ... and with a rudder - at BEST only half of the prop thrust is directed to turning and the rest is pushing you straight. A rudder steer will always make wider turns than an outboard (or stern drive) where you can direct 100% of the thrust to the turn. 

Edited by zmk1962

This is the pride we did own it was around 5.7m I think and was full glass boat except transom had timber and was we wet. It carried a lot of fuel maybe above 250l. The reason I'm posting is we towed this ok but I wouldn't want to go a lot heavier a bit but not a lot. By the way once again I just want to thank you all for taking your time to post and reply I really appreciate it.

Damon.

s-l400.webp

Edited by Damon7

No, it's not a 40' boat, but, it's all scaled down, anyway, the virtues of each can be debated for days......the question here is about whether this boat being suitable for the posters intended use! I personally am not convinced, but it appears he is somewhat committed having paid a deposit, it's a bit late to start the questions now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, noelm said:

No, it's not a 40' boat, but, it's all scaled down, anyway, the virtues of each can be debated for days......the question here is about whether this boat being suitable for the posters intended use! I personally am not convinced, but it appears he is somewhat committed having paid a deposit, it's a bit late to start the questions now.

Yes I have put a deposit down but all your input is still helpful to decide where to go and how to handle it from here.

Thank you Damon.

hi Damon congratulations on the new boat ,im sure you will work out whats she is capable of and her limits . i reckon great for the family in enclosed waters .outside, id tread carefully maybe leave the family home for the swell test.can you post up some pics off the internals cheers dunc333

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dunc333 said:

hi Damon congratulations on the new boat ,im sure you will work out whats she is capable of and her limits . i reckon great for the family in enclosed waters .outside, id tread carefully maybe leave the family home for the swell test.can you post up some pics off the internals cheers dunc333

Thank you Dunc for your reply. Here are some pics of the inside 

p1050281_orig.jpg

p1050276_orig.jpg

p1050280_orig.jpg

p1050279_orig.jpg

thumbnail-img-4742_orig.jpg

19_4.jpg

with a bit of elbow grease she will scrub up nice. 1st i would get the sea cocks checked out and replace for piece of mind ,maybe add a swim platform to the transom . As talked about ,i hope the hull is solid  and engine sound .if so lots of family memories to follow cheers dunc333 ps keep us up to date good or bad as you get her on the water always people here to help

Edited by dunc333
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, dunc333 said:

with a bit of elbow grease she will scrub up nice. 1st i would get the sea cocks checked out and replace for piece of mind ,maybe add a swim platform to the transom . As talked about ,i hope the hull is solid  and engine sound .if so lots of family memories to follow cheers dunc333 ps keep us up to date good or bad as you get her on the water always people here to help

Thank very much Dunc for that I will update once we get it here could be a couple months. But I really appreciate your reply. It already has a swim board for the back not shown in photo. And I'm assuming the sea cock is where it picks up water is this correct as I said never had a inboard before.

Thank you Damon.

9 hours ago, dunc333 said:

there should be 1 for the heat exchanger on the motor that brings seawater into the exchanger and 1 for the toilet that brings sea water into flush the toilet cheers dunc333

Thank you Dunc I will make sure to check them. We spoke to the current owner and the Isuzu motor only has a little over 800hrs on it and he said the hull is fully glass so no timber stringers to worry about. The man they had antifoul it said the hull was in great condition. The current owner is 83 and getting rid of it as he's just getting too old and has really been good to deal with and kind enough to take a deposit while we organise the rest. I know it might not win any races but the Mustang we have is quick and all it really causes is the kids to get thrown around and have to sit up in the cab not really enjoying themselves. I'm kind of looking forward to just slowly putting out trolling the whole way slow enough they can walk around and enjoy it. Thank you once again for your input and what you were aiming at I really appreciate it. And thank you to everyone for there advice. I'll make sure to do my best to avoid bad weather and rough seas the rest I guess I'll leave in God's hands.

Thank you Damon.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 8:35 PM, zmk1962 said:

Check out these for some more insights ... I am very conservative when it comes to family/friends and being wide offshore:

... and this ... storm front came up in 10min ... not on any weather forecast. the guys were in a 6m (22ft) boat 32nm off from Sydney.  Would you rather have 200HP+ on the back or something that gives you max 10kts..

Cheers Zoran

I’d be calling my momma 10 seconds in.

• 3 weeks later...