Prawning - Narrabeen and Dee Why

Renegade460

Simply forget it.

Have been out a couple of nights at Narrabeen and at best 6 or so prawns.

Went to Dee Why night, haven't been there for a few years and again nothing.

Both are closed to the ocean but in previous years this hasn't been an issue at Dee Why but more of an issue at Narrabeen.

I don't understand why no prawns, any ideas ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Renegade460 said:

Simply forget it.

Have been out a couple of nights at Narrabeen and at best 6 or so prawns.

Went to Dee Why night, haven't been there for a few years and again nothing.

Both are closed to the ocean but in previous years this hasn't been an issue at Dee Why but more of an issue at Narrabeen.

I don't understand why no prawns, any ideas ?

Hey @Renegade460, I haven’t been prawning in Narrabeen Lakes for 30 years, but it has been an early and “bumper” year so far n the Hawkesbury and the trawler operators put it down to the “big wet” - prawns love a flush of fresh water and all the Bass are stuffed full of prawns and coughing them up when landed (released of course, but doesn’t stop them regurgitating them once out of the water). Maybe because the water isn’t open to the sea, they are staying down deep.

• Like 1

I was talking to an old retired lake Prawner a few weeks ago, and he told me lots of rain will kill a seasons Prawns near completely, maybe all that constant rain we had killed them off? The south coast lakes are pretty similar this year, most are big Prawn producers, but this year, most pros have had a few goes and given up, not worth the effort.

Edited by noelm
Typo
  • Like 1

Strange to hear this as my mates down at Bermagui are having some success with the prawns, they don't even have to pick their times being a few days before the NEW moon, any overcast night is producing good results and it has had heaps of rain down that way as well all the dams are overflowing and it's green as can be.

Frank

• Like 2

I think its cuz nowadays too much people are prawning and also the trawlers, went to the entrance at night a while ago and 20+ people are prawning around the carpark and they are pulling ten kilos each, and now as i saw on social media they have gone to narrabeen and dee why lagoon to prawn.

The huge amount of rain in 2022 might also be one of the reasons

• 2 weeks later...

My mate got around 5 k's the other night he said they were large almost as big as king prawns.

I'm going down to try for some on Monday night , can only stay 1 night so I hope they are on. long drive if the timing is not right.

Frank

• Like 1

Just got back from my 1 night prawning expedition from down the south coast ( Bermagui ) 

Got to the lake just before dark and set up and started walking the shallows, unfortunately the water dropped off way to sharply for my liking and I had to take things extremely easy.

A few started showing straight away and by dark there were a few about to be taken.

Anyone who knows me knows that I suffer from emphysema and therefor can't stay standing up in sinking sand for very long, so I had to do very short timeframe in the water .

however after a few hours I had managed approx 3 1/2 kilo of average sized prawns. My mates both got about 5 k's each which turned out to be a good trip.

was great to catch up with old friends and share time doing what we all enjoy.

The wire scive fits into a 20 ltr white drum.

563521039_prawns1.thumb.jpg.bf0e116e8f95cc706b17703f9d1e269a.jpg

2115899534_prawns2.thumb.jpg.fd58b17877300ad07235c1ee5e738b29.jpg

Frank

• Like 10

• 1 month later...