Rambo Sambo

R E G I C Y C L E

Late report from 29/12

Took the Hobie out for its first salty session. Launched from Spit Bridge about 630am. Tried for bream around the marinas and private jettys for an hour with crankbaits, before resorting to trolling a 60mm double clutch.

Within a couple of minutes the rod went off, and I had a nice aerial display from an approx 30mm slab of silver before it flicked hooks a few meters from the yak. Now, I'm far from an expert at my salty fish species, so I wasn't sure what I had hooked.

Continued trolling and shortly after the rod goes off again. Insane fight on the 1-4 kg trout rod with 6lb line, 5 mins later I boat a chunky bullet around 45-50cm. At this point I still don't know what species I have landed so I pedaled across to a nearby boat and asked the guy what it was. His words were, verbatim "that's a little kingy mate, I'd keep it but make sure you hide it" 🤨

Thinking to myself... I know enough about fish to know that's not a kingy. Either way, I'm not about to keep a fish that I'm not sure is legal, so back it goes. A few minutes of Googling later and I confirm I've caught an Australian Salmon 😄

Trolled for a few more minutes but the swell started picking up so I called it for the day around 11am.

Enjoyable morning out.

20221229_082935.jpg

Edited by R E G I C Y C L E
  • Like 10

Awesome catch! do you go that way much for bream? I'm interested in how you manage the boat traffic/wash? Ive been keen to try the area for a while and what spots are comfortable to fish. I was thinking about trying around the boats on the western side of the spit around dawn.

• Like 1

Thanks all!

1 hour ago, Cballz said:

Awesome catch! do you go that way much for bream? I'm interested in how you manage the boat traffic/wash? Ive been keen to try the area for a while and what spots are comfortable to fish. I was thinking about trying around the boats on the western side of the spit around dawn.

I've got plenty of bream land based around the bridge but that was my first time yakking. I kept out of the main boat traffic so didn't have any issues with wash. Plenty of big bream around there tho so I'll try it again.

• Like 1