Bonito Baby!

JustJames

January 1 was supposed to be a perfect day to be on the water.  And as it was January 1, and we had a by-our-standards late night on New Years, I decided to relax my early start fanaticsm, and take SWMBO for a morning on the water, with brekkie in the open air.  We launched the boat at Roseville around 8 o'clock and went in search of a sheltered spot to moor for breakfast.  The predicted perefect day did not materialise, and it was slightly breezy but getting out of the wind near Collins Beach, where we got to see how the other half goes boating.  This is a mahoosive pleasure yacht, with floatie toys and on the upper deck, at the back, is not the largest live bait tank in the world but a spa bath!  I like to imagine the bloke on that boat looking across to us on our little and thinking "Geez, that looks like fun!"

image.thumb.jpeg.829a47401d6963d220bbc0a2d345f6d2.jpeg

The sounder was showing no action beneath us, so I didn't bother putting a line out, instead worked on being a Good Husband (tm) and plying herself with fresh squeezed orange juice while she made us bread rolls with cream cheese, smoked salmon and capers.

After brekkie we pulled the anchor up and trolled in the direction of North Head.  I had just decided that we wouldn't be putting a nose outside the heads as it was a little on the bumpy side when one of the reels played the song of my people, which led to a healthy bonito being invited on board, despatched and stowed on ice in the Esky.  We re-traced our route and this time when a reel made its happy noise, SWMBO fought the fish to the boat, and I welcomed another bonito on board.

As we still had some bonito fillets in the fridge at home, I saw no need to be greedy so we headed back to Roseville, stopping off in Fig Tree Cove where I cleaned the fish.  I didn't bother to measure them, but they were both around the 45 cm mark.  Both were caught on Rapala X Rap pilchard lures, one of which was a deep diving lure.

229FD052-8F2B-464A-999B-734CC5011821.jpeg

This was the second haul of bonnies for the summer, and I am delighted that they are back.  They are such fun to catch, cook well and make first rate sushi.

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
Pic replaced
  • Like 12

Well you definitely look happy enough with that fish 😂.I remember years  ago fishing up there and we pulled up at Bantry bay for brekkie , there we were amongst all the floating palaces cooking bacon and eggs on the front deck of my polycraft boat while the mega rich sat there watching us and  drooling 🤤🤤🤤 then getting a bowl of horse chaff shoved down their throat for breakfast  . The look on their faces was priceless 😂😂😂😂.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Great report James - great to spend time with the mistress of finances and administration. Every time I motor past DAlbora marina and see those mega million$ boats, I recall that The desires of the heart are like the world of the dead - always room for more” and look at my little Tinnie and be thankful that I have boat to muck around in.

• Like 3