South Sydney FAD 25 & 25A

Larkin

Gday Raiders, With reports of Dollie’s hitting the Sydney fads this week, decided to go out and have a looksy at the south Sydney fads. Plenty of boats out there, but no one catching anything of note - saw one dolly caught, but undersized. Divers out there too. People using live baits, lures but nothing.

I caught one myself at a tad over 60cm, and about 6 rat kings upto 60cm. Got a couple of big hits too but no connect. 
I was using lures and mackerel strip baits around 5inch long. Only one tiny kingy on the lures - the salted strip baits catching the fish. All fish undersized and released.

maybe another week until we get some decent fish out there.

284FD08D-71C7-491B-8217-78EA59B6380F.thumb.jpeg.d3d5a351d7e56b54bf0b2591f6b84228.jpeg

627FFCFA-A36E-44A4-9C5D-124A2C887812.thumb.jpeg.a57dad15c7b5fdebb2a73b88f4a79b2d.jpeg

0F6E5B39-8549-4EA0-9950-F510244401B3.thumb.jpeg.b347d3425736184a4686fa0e257aaaf6.jpeg

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

A few fish, and the warmer water is heading south right now.

How far out are these FADs?

Hi Yowie, here is the link to the DPI site showing the FAD locations and distances out. 

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/resources/fish-aggregating-devices

Screenshot of the Navionics App. 

770946B9-20FE-445D-B98C-7DF26C065884.png

Edited by Welster

Thanks for the report @Larkin.  It looks like you had nice conditions out there and had some fun for your efforts.   Do you have a live bait tank on your ski? 

I am looking forward to getting out there myself in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 11:09 PM, The Rev said:

Thanks for the update. Hopefully some bigger ones come in soon 

The Rev

No problem Rev.

A few had heard they had arrived, so it was a little busy out there, but only small fish on Thursday.

17 hours ago, Yowie said:

A few fish, and the warmer water is heading south right now.

How far out are these FADs?

it was around 24 degrees out there - as Welster said, its around 20k out. A bit of fun, but nothing of size

14 hours ago, Welster said:

Thanks for the report @Larkin.  It looks like you had nice conditions out there and had some fun for your efforts.   Do you have a live bait tank on your ski? 

I am looking forward to getting out there myself in a couple of weeks. 

yeah I do, but didn’t want to waste time on catching livies and get there after everyone. I knew there would be a few people out there after all the reports of Dollie’s hitting Sydneys fads.

13 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work Larkin!

The water is warming up....I spoke to a jet ski fisho up in Pittwater last week who said the water outside long reef was hitting 24 degrees!

How long is the trip out to the FAD on your ski?

Hi Rob, it’s a 40min to an hour ride out.

yeah I’ve been watching the sea temps - It was around 24 out there on Thursday 

12 hours ago, Pickles said:

Great report Chris, do you know if there has been an update on the Sydney FADS off the heads?

Hi Bob, I heard that some fads went awol - not sure if it’s true or which ones. Dpi show all there.
Some small Dollie’s being caught off Botany Bay. Spoke to guy while out there who got a 1.2m dolly last week off Terigal Fad.
I think another week or two and they should be firing.

14 hours ago, Rebel said:

Top report..

Great photos.

Well done.

Thanks Rebel - bit of fun, unfortunately no keepers on this day 

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 1