First dollies of the season

blaxland

Hello Raiders water has warmed so decided to give the Sydney FAD ago. Got to the servo 5 mins from the ramp at 4:30am other boats there already. Launched in the dark with plans to head strat out. Going through the heads I notice some surface activity so threw a 5gm hallco to hook a 30+ cm slimie was a fish per cast kept 4 of the bigger models destined for the plate and a live bait. Got to the FAD only two boats there but no fish showing headed out to the wave buoy but couldn't find it trolling back picked up a small dollies. Came in to near a mark called foul grounds picked up a pan sized snapper on prawn bait ( thanks for the tip @pickles) back at the ramp 11:00 the water was a lovely blue. Got short vid of the dollies but to big to upload 

20230112_095727.jpg

20230113_164718.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Plenty of Marlin out there too if that's your fancy......they are chasing the big Slimies, so choose a similar lure "spread" 

Yes a mate chases them but not me :)

41 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Pleasure Bill, sounds like a good day😊 🍌 

Bit short on the way out but sort of glassed out between 8 and 11 all fun though

The reddie will be good on the plate.

As for the slimies, they will be good though a bit stronger taste, similar to the herring, or Tommy Ruffs from the far west of the country. Tommy Ruff is very popular in W.A.

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

The reddie will be good on the plate.

As for the slimies, they will be good though a bit stronger taste, similar to the herring, or Tommy Ruffs from the far west of the country. Tommy Ruff is very popular in W.A.

Yes snapper is one of my favorites had it for lunch. Funny mackerel is eaten all over he world but frowned on in Oz . I used a Gordon Ramsay recipe and impressed he misses google it plenty of the top chefs around the world cook it,

1 hour ago, Basil D said:

i went out Thursday, checked out syndey, botany and port hacking fads , no Mahi

I Got one long fin perch, few Mowies and a mix bag of reef fish 

hopefully they are not to far away

Yes they are here just need to grow luckily one of the fastest growing fish in the ocean

• Like 1

Back in the early 90's I caught a bunch of slimies off a wharf. Got home and fried a couple up in butter, like we used to in the UK. Very tasty, even if my housemates, a couple of Aussies, were horrified when I told them I had eaten them as they reckoned that they were only good as cat food.... 😂

• Haha 2