Aussie Salmon

TheFishosGrill

I don't hate it but have many other species as preferred eating. Not bad enough to discount altogether. OK for fish cakes. So that sorts out my thoughts on their edible qualities...on the other side of the coin they are great to hook up to. Very spirited fight when hooked, probably best returned to the water to provide angling value to the next fisho to hook them.   bn

• Like 4

I quite like it, as long as it’s been kept in top condition from the moment it’s caught. I was bought up eating a lot of salmon and tailor and have grown fond of the “gamey” flavor they offer. Beats sausages or rissoles every day of the week. Nothing fancy, just well prepared, dusted with plain or corn flour and shallow fried in a hot pan works for me.

There was another post done on this recently, so perhaps a search would provide you more responses to this age old question.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 4

Yep, spot on, this has been discussed dozens of times, those that say they are no good, are usually those that have never actually eaten them. If looked after when caught, eaten very fresh, filleted, skinned and any blood meat cut off, they are good eating, of course there is lots of "better" quality fish out there, but a couple of Salmon will feed a family easily, try feeding a family on a couple of Whiting or Flathead......

• Like 4

As others noted, there are better eating fish out there, but in my opinion there is absolutely nothing wrong with a freshly caught, bled and skinned salmon. Pop it on the bbq or chuck it in a curry, fishcake or even better, they come up a treat in a smoker.

Apart from that, they are an awesome fighting fish that provide great fun on light tackle.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

I quite like it, as long as it’s been kept in top condition from the moment it’s caught. I was bought up eating a lot of salmon and tailor and have grown fond of the “gamey” flavor they offer. Beats sausages or rissoles every day of the week. Nothing fancy, just well prepared, dusted with plain or corn flour and shallow fried in a hot pan works for me.

There was another post done on this recently, so perhaps a search would provide you more responses to this age old question.

I prefer Tailor, especially butterflied and smoked. Salmon and Tailor should be bled once caught for best results, on the plate.

bn

• Like 2

Thanks all for the response.

Also thank you for answering the question, I actually read through some of the old posts but being the new guy in the forum I wanted to engage with a few of you and conversate more onto why most think its not a good eating fish.

As you guys know, I've started a channel on YT which is based on our love for fishing/cooking. I was a chef a long time ago and Hoda obviously a previous MasterChef Australia contestant just wanted to gage why Salmon itself wasn't favoured in the community.

We have filmed an episode about Aussie Salmon which is due to be released this weekend. Aussie salmon isn't a bad eating fish, just need to eat it the right way like most things.
I agree there are a lot better tasting fish in the ocean, but if I really wanted too... I could make an Aussie Salmon taste just as good as any other fish just done a different way to make it work if that makes sense. 

If the haters of salmon lived close by I'd be happy to change your minds 😄

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Snapped Hook said:

Carp of the ocean. Great fight on light gear. But like carp the head drops once you realise what it is.

Very true. I generally fish for Murray Cod and hook Carp sometimes. But sometimes I go out and target Carp because they are a pest and also present well on light gear. In Australia we are spoiled for choice so Carp, Tailor, Salmon are not considered good on the plate...there are much better options. However, in many European and Asian countries, where the inhabitants are not as fortunate, Carp are used as a main source of food. A few spices and you probably wouldn't know what you were eating.

bn

• Like 2

Correct, people like all kinds of fish, my wife likes Basa, because it's not "fishy" I wouldn't eat the stuff...ever. For family dinners we usually have big Blackfish, filleted, boned and skinned, everyone loves it, fish like Kingfish are pretty popular, but, they are quite "fishy" me personally, I love fish, almost any sort, steamed, poached (fancy way to say boiled) fried, in crumbs, flour, battered, anyway at all.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 10:28 AM, noelm said:

Correct, people like all kinds of fish, my wife likes Basa, because it's not "fishy" I wouldn't eat the stuff...ever. For family dinners we usually have big Blackfish, filleted, boned and skinned, everyone loves it, fish like Kingfish are pretty popular, but, they are quite "fishy" me personally, I love fish, almost any sort, steamed, poached (fancy way to say boiled) fried, in crumbs, flour, battered, anyway at all.

I know a lot of people who like basa for the same reason!! and I'm the same I couldn't eat it usually, but I remember my ex wife's grandmother made it into a schnitzel (italian) and it was fantastic.

• Like 1

Ok, so I watched your excellent video presentation of the catching and preparation of the Australian Salmon. You guys are natural video presenters...simple, straight forward, easy to follow. Most enjoyable.

Did you bleed the fish immediately it was caught? I've always done that with Tailor and Australian Salmon, in the belief that it enhanced the edible quality of the fish... marginally.

When I have eaten them, I have never taken the time to remove the "blood flesh", when making fishcakes. This is probably where I have failed to try to get the best possible taste from the fish.

One thing I think is common to your preparation and mine (of fish cakes) is that the fish needs other flavours to enhance its edible qualities. Would you agree that, served alone on a plate, with no other flavour enhancements, it is pretty ordinary?

I think I'll stick to eating the odd Murray Cod and leave the humble Aussie Salmon for coastal dwellers, to eat or not. Unlikely that I'll try the skin either...too old and set in my ways (read NOT very adventurous).

Two things we can agree on, they're great fun to catch... and you two are good video presenters. Let's leave it at that.

I'll stick to Murray Cod...

1650702974_20210121_091910(1).thumb.jpg.65abfaaadd1318be383687e4b7a3e2a6.jpg

Cheers, bn

Edited by big Neil
added info
  • Like 2

Funny thing is head south into Victoria or South OZ and the opinions on Aussie Salmon change , One YouTube channel I watch (David Sheldon Fishing)the host smokes all his salmon and can’t get enough of them. You don’t have to use salmon but as it has a stronger taste than many fish it would be less likely to disappear or be overpowered by the spices , some other species that would probably do alright in this dish are trevalley, tailor , mullet and dart .you wouldn’t run a kilo of sirloin through a mincer to make rissoles so you wouldn’t use a fine table fish for this dish .

Great video Matt and Hoda ! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, XD351 said:

Funny thing is head south into Victoria or South OZ and the opinions on Aussie Salmon change , One YouTube channel I watch (David Sheldon Fishing)the host smokes all his salmon and can’t get enough of them. You don’t have to use salmon but as it has a stronger taste than many fish it would be less likely to disappear or be overpowered by the spices , some other species that would probably do alright in this dish are trevalley, tailor , mullet and dart .you wouldn’t run a kilo of sirloin through a mincer to make rissoles so you wouldn’t use a fine table fish for this dish .

Smoking Aussie Salmon or Tailor is their saving grace IMO. I have had a fair bit of experience with smoked, butterflied, Tailor and it is very tasty. Point is that most fish has value somewhere on the planet. We, in Australia, are really spoiled for choice...maybe we should open our minds to a few more options.

bn

On 1/25/2023 at 7:10 AM, noelm said:

Yep, spot on, this has been discussed dozens of times, those that say they are no good, are usually those that have never actually eaten them. If looked after when caught, eaten very fresh, filleted, skinned and any blood meat cut off, they are good eating, of course there is lots of "better" quality fish out there, but a couple of Salmon will feed a family easily, try feeding a family on a couple of Whiting or Flathead......

coat the fillets with Tandaco fish seasoning and grill over coals (or dry roast in a BBQ kettle).

I served them to a restaurant owner and he refused to believe they were salmon til I repeated the cleaning, skinning cooking process in front of him.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 2:46 AM, big Neil said:

Ok, so I watched your excellent video presentation of the catching and preparation of the Australian Salmon. You guys are natural video presenters...simple, straight forward, easy to follow. Most enjoyable.

Did you bleed the fish immediately it was caught? I've always done that with Tailor and Australian Salmon, in the belief that it enhanced the edible quality of the fish... marginally.

When I have eaten them, I have never taken the time to remove the "blood flesh", when making fishcakes. This is probably where I have failed to try to get the best possible taste from the fish.

One thing I think is common to your preparation and mine (of fish cakes) is that the fish needs other flavours to enhance its edible qualities. Would you agree that, served alone on a plate, with no other flavour enhancements, it is pretty ordinary?

I think I'll stick to eating the odd Murray Cod and leave the humble Aussie Salmon for coastal dwellers, to eat or not. Unlikely that I'll try the skin either...too old and set in my ways (read NOT very adventurous).

Two things we can agree on, they're great fun to catch... and you two are good video presenters. Let's leave it at that.

I'll stick to Murray Cod...

1650702974_20210121_091910(1).thumb.jpg.65abfaaadd1318be383687e4b7a3e2a6.jpg

Cheers, bn

Hi Neil,

Thank you for the feedback appreciate it!

I bled the fish immediately, thought maybe it's too graphic for YouTube since that's the direction of the worlds open opinion :)

I'm not going to lie, its been awhile since I've had salmon with no enhancements so to say is it a good edible fish on its own? Ill have to catch another and try it out lol. Im also a realist, I do prefer eating other fish and I think everyone does.

14 hours ago, dmck said:

coat the fillets with Tandaco fish seasoning and grill over coals (or dry roast in a BBQ kettle).

I served them to a restaurant owner and he refused to believe they were salmon til I repeated the cleaning, skinning cooking process in front of him.

Awesome job!
To be honest the one thing I hate the most is the prep time involved in a sambo... I admit it takes a bit longer but I have a few more recipes I want to try personally before ditching it for a better eating fish in the ocean.

On 1/30/2023 at 9:01 AM, XD351 said:

Thanks Ian, 
I'm going to check that channel out. We have access to a Bradley smoker which I've been meaning to try out and salmon was on the cards. I had a comment on facebook that a gentleman uses honey and salt which to be honest I absolutely love the combination of sweet and salty.
Later on in the series ill jump in the kitchen and showcase a few Asian inspired recipes from my background (I'm half Singaporean) so hopefully we can continue with bringing new and exciting, and also modern recipes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheFishosGrill said:

Hi Neil,

Thank you for the feedback appreciate it!

I bled the fish immediately, thought maybe it's too graphic for YouTube since that's the direction of the worlds open opinion :)

I'm not going to lie, its been awhile since I've had salmon with no enhancements so to say is it a good edible fish on its own? Ill have to catch another and try it out lol. Im also a realist, I do prefer eating other fish and I think everyone does.

Awesome job!
To be honest the one thing I hate the most is the prep time involved in a sambo... I admit it takes a bit longer but I have a few more recipes I want to try personally before ditching it for a better eating fish in the ocean.

Thanks Ian, 
I'm going to check that channel out. We have access to a Bradley smoker which I've been meaning to try out and salmon was on the cards. I had a comment on facebook that a gentleman uses honey and salt which to be honest I absolutely love the combination of sweet and salty.
Later on in the series ill jump in the kitchen and showcase a few Asian inspired recipes from my background (I'm half Singaporean) so hopefully we can continue with bringing new and exciting, and also modern recipes.

Thanks for your in depth replies to everyone's comments. I really enjoy seeing people who are competent, doing what they do. I'm not a very good cook so I can enjoy watching people who are. We humans are very lucky to be endowed with the capability to be creative with our food, a unique gift that we possess.

bn

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TheFishosGrill said:

Thanks Ian, 

Cool! 
I await with watering mouth🍽️🤤

Edited by XD351
  • Like 2