Berowra - watch your stuff

slothparade

Its unfortunate and sad that this needs to be said. The other night, went fishing on mates boat, left our cars in the car park. when we got back unfortunately found out someone nicked all sorts of things from our cars, light bars, spot lights, recovery gear. fortunately i lock most of my things to the car but mate lost everything he had on his car. this unfortunately isn't the first time this has happened. it wasnt all that long ago 2 motor bikes were stolen from around there. 

basically dont leave anything of value on the car over night. 

hope everyone keeps safe and I just wanted to alert everyone and hope others can learn from our misfortune. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

1 hour ago, Bryant fish said:

I live in berowra and it's a quiet crime free area but I have heard of trouble at car parks on the river a holes everywhere unfortunately 

Yeah, used to be able to just leave your car unlocked. Few years ago mates neighbors car was nicked or something. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/25/2023 at 9:33 PM, Bryant fish said:

I live in berowra and it's a quiet crime free area but I have heard of trouble at car parks on the river a holes everywhere unfortunately 

Thieves want privacy. Berowra Waters is very quiet at night. You would be able to hear vehicles coming. Scope the car park; nobody there; get into it. No need to rush because you can hear cars approaching via the road and boats approaching the ramp.   

Some low-life removed a tail-light from my car during the day at the Berowra railway car-park once. I'm still mystified how they gained access to the screws. Adding to my anger, they snipped the cables, rather than twist to disconnect. Since then, I park away from the railway and walk.

The pattern seems to be to watch until they see a target parking. Wait until the owner leaves, then do the deed with little chance of the owner seeing, and few people in the modern world wanting to be involved in someone else's problem if they do get seen.

2 hours ago, Steve0 said:

Thieves want privacy. Berowra Waters is very quiet at night. You would be able to hear vehicles coming. Scope the car park; nobody there; get into it. No need to rush because you can hear cars approaching via the road and boats approaching the ramp.   

Some low-life removed a tail-light from my car during the day at the Berowra railway car-park once. I'm still mystified how they gained access to the screws. Adding to my anger, they snipped the cables, rather than twist to disconnect. Since then, I park away from the railway and walk.

The pattern seems to be to watch until they see a target parking. Wait until the owner leaves, then do the deed with little chance of the owner seeing, and few people in the modern world wanting to be involved in someone else's problem if they do get seen.

it is all a problem round there.

While out in the boat hairtailing at night we had our 4wd aerial stolen at Apple Tree Bay ramp car park. Costly to replace!

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

While out in the boat hairtailing at night we had our 4wd aerial stolen at Apple Tree Bay ramp car park. Costly to replace!

It's very quiet down there. Launch then park the car at the Bobbin Head Marina and get picked up at the paddle boat pontoon may offer a little less security for the thieves, but you may need to unhitch the trailer and park it separate with clamped wheels.

2 hours ago, Steve0 said:

It's very quiet down there. Launch then park the car at the Bobbin Head Marina and get picked up at the paddle boat pontoon may offer a little less security for the thieves, but you may need to unhitch the trailer and park it separate with clamped wheels.

Sure. We unscrew the aerial now and then they can’t get it. 
It is quiet. They had a security guard at one point. 

I may need to install a tow bar on my rav4 for sketchy boat ramps. Who knows what they can take off my prado.

On 7/26/2024 at 10:44 AM, mrsswordfisherman said:

What type of aerial did/do you have Donna? My GME has a little grub screw to "lock" it in, but really its just a tiny 3mm? screw.

• Like 1

We had this problem at Baywiew ramp years ago. So, I contacted a mate of mine who was in the Water Police. He brought another Policeman with him & there was five of us. We just waited in the carpark on a Saturday night. Around 11pm two guys arrived. Started to break into cars. It was all over in 10minutes. Handcuffed & history. We did it the following Friday night, caught three more. Seem to quiten down after that. I would say the word had spread around.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, xerotao said:

I may need to install a tow bar on my rav4 for sketchy boat ramps. Who knows what they can take off my prado.

What type of aerial did/do you have Donna? My GME has a little grub screw to "lock" it in, but really its just a tiny 3mm? screw.

@xerotao We have GME XRS Connect see video
We chose the long range one. 
We now only put it on the car if we are going on a towing trip. 

452138620_1245057386682878_4674991684302636898_n.jpg

451460637_3404419289861014_1920167138007333251_n.jpg

2 hours ago, james Cutler said:

We had this problem at Baywiew ramp years ago. So, I contacted a mate of mine who was in the Water Police. He brought another Policeman with him & there was five of us. We just waited in the carpark on a Saturday night. Around 11pm two guys arrived. Started to break into cars. It was all over in 10minutes. Handcuffed & history. We did it the following Friday night, caught three more. Seem to quiten down after that. I would say the word had spread around.

We have a few Water Police who are fishraiders, including one that was Commander at Marine Area Command. We have been to visit Balmain HQ and seen the setups. We also worked in with them and Crime Stoppers when they started monitoring and heavily patrolling the waterways when there were issues. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, xerotao said:

yeah, the gme's have a small 3oddmm allen key locking screw, well atleast my 6.6dbi one dose. not much to prevent would be thieves 

1 hour ago, Restyle said:

yeah, the gme's have a small 3oddmm allen key locking screw, well atleast my 6.6dbi one dose. not much to prevent would be thieves 

That’s just it.

It isn’t a theft deterrent, only meant to stop it jumping out. 

• Like 1