Port Hacking

Isaac Ct

Gday Raiders, 

It has been a while since I’ve fished port hacking, first time this year in fact. Early start and Yowie bay boat ramp was chockers at 5 in the morning, pumped some nippers which took a while to find and by then we where frustrated as we couldn’t catch any squid either. 

Anchored up near lilli pilli and a stingray took a liking to the first bait, brilliant. Then a baby red mullet came along which was a first. Shame it wasn’t 20cm bigger. A nice blue swimmer came along and managed to evade the net then grab onto the side of it which proved to be a fatal mistake

Heard a big splash behind us which we suspected was a seal then I hooked up to the king on the whiting gear. Couldn’t believe how hard they go at that size, 20 minutes on 4 pound line and it was still kicking around in the boat. We were aiming for a king but we didn’t get it the way we imagined we would. Measured at 60cm, bit bigger next time hopefully.

Happy Australia Day to all

ACBEC42D-C3D1-46A2-AF9F-041815E24AE9.thumb.jpeg.80a0409203af7082fa9ca930d1ae231b.jpeg70CBCF4B-C688-4BF6-A7CE-8A14785FADBA.thumb.jpeg.03085c4abb0d3c3fd3df584080dc993f.jpeg83D35793-6217-4444-9DA1-694C6B89FBB7.thumb.jpeg.0284a208782032a62dbfb26391caa08e.jpeg

Edited by Isaac Ct
  • Like 11

34 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Cook up the crab and make a crab rice dish.

About time the kingies started moving about.

That sounds good, my mum makes a chilli crab with rice that is amazing.

Do you catch many squid around Lilli Pilli/SWA

1 hour ago, Restyle said:

theres been plenty of squid around! i caught 17 Tuesday and threw 7 back.. because bag limits

Hi Restyle, Arrows or Calamari?

heard of a few large calamari being caught just inside of jibbon bommie early morning, but not many reports of daytime captures inside the hacking. 
you’ve been catching them at night? Using an underwater light?

6 hours ago, Larkin said:

Hi Restyle, Arrows or Calamari?

heard of a few large calamari being caught just inside of jibbon bommie early morning, but not many reports of daytime captures inside the hacking. 
you’ve been catching them at night? Using an underwater light?

only arrows & at night. I have a esky with 2 floodlights on it. connect to battery and open the lid and watch the schools of squid maul small baitfish attracted to the light. Theres no need for a underwater light when a normal light placed on the edge of the jetty or off the side of a boat works just as well.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Restyle said:

good stuff! nice to see some kings around & hopefully its not just the one. 

theres been plenty of squid around! i caught 17 Tuesday and threw 7 back.. because bag limits

Wow, I will have to get back down before school starts. 

16 hours ago, Larkin said:

Nice crab - my favourite bycatch 👍

a top fight on light gear - well done on the 4lb line!

Thanks Larkin, the king took me by surprise. I had just put my bait out and set the rod down and before I knew it, it was almost flying out of the boat 

15 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Well done Isaac! The crab is catch of the day and the king almost came home too! Brave of you to get out today with the circus starting early!

Thanks Jenno, it wasn’t a problem putting the boat in as there was no line at the ramp. But the parking was a bloody nightmare