Fishing charter

Aussie_fisher

Hi guys, Just went fishing on the harbour with a charter. I’m sure many of you who fish on the harbour will probably know him. Started the day at 6. Began by squidding. Caught 8 or 9 squid in total in around 3 -4 hours I think. All of them caught by the charter operator none by me🤣. Then we fished for yakkas and got about 30 in a few mins I think. Finally after all the bait was caught we started kingfishing. Within 5 mins we were hooked to an 80cm kingy - it put up a pretty good fight. My first ever kingfish. After that we caught around 6 kingies but released them because they were rats around the 60cm mark. All of the kingfish were caught on squid. According to the charter operator yakkas are a second class bait and squid is always better. The fishing then went silent for a little while, until I hooked onto a sambo on a live yakka. Around 55cm. We fished for an hour after that but caught nothing else unfortunately. Overall a very good trip. Apart from trying to catch you fish the charter operator also helps u become a better fisho by telling u tips, tricks and locations. If u want to catch some good kingys and don’t have a boat I would definitely recommend him. 

• Like 8

Way to go @Aussie_fisher, I totally agree-  going with a fishing guide is money well spent and a learning experience that will improve fishing knowledge (conditions, bait, weather, fish habits etc) significantly. Even if the day is not as productive as hoped and observant fisho will learn heaps and the cost is relative to what you would spend on tackle, bait, gear, fuel etc).

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 1

Sounds like a worthwhile trip @Aussie_fisher.

When going out with a guide, the onus should always be on learning. That's where the value is. Otherwise you end up with a few $500+ per kilo fish and that's the end of that.

It's even worth bringing a notebook and pen to take notes, because often a good guiding session is very information rich and can take a few sessions afterwards for it all to sink in.

• Like 1

@dunc333I’m not sure if I’m allowed to specify as according to the rules on fishraider I can’t say which charter it is. He is a very popular one on the harbour though. Ye it is definitely worth taking some notes. For example I learnt squid is much better than yakkas for kingies. He rated squid 10/10 and yakkas 3/10 which surprised me. And then he suggested me some good land based spots here and there, how to catch bait and some other little things so it was a good trip.

1 hour ago, Aussie_fisher said:

@dunc333I’m not sure if I’m allowed to specify as according to the rules on fishraider I can’t say which charter it is. He is a very popular one on the harbour though. Ye it is definitely worth taking some notes. For example I learnt squid is much better than yakkas for kingies. He rated squid 10/10 and yakkas 3/10 which surprised me. And then he suggested me some good land based spots here and there, how to catch bait and some other little things so it was a good trip.

@Aussie_fisher you can pm the member who is asking you the question.

Until Site Rules are reviewed we will be usng the current ones. 

By all means send the poster a personal message to find the business. 

@dunc333 pretty sure you know who it is but message Aussie_fisher ;)