Stockton 27/1/23

slothparade

Tried fishing Stockton beach, got there mid morning, headed up north finding rips and casting out into the churned up sand, bait was beach worms. Targets were, whiting, bream, tailor, ECT. With the wind, swell and strong currents couldn't get anything to hold bottom and was just washed onto the shore. Used up to a size 4 star sinker and a large breakway sinker which I used for sharks, which still didn't hold, kept moving up north with absolutely no luck. Wasn't really anyone fishing and those that were, were either struggling like I was or shark fishing with bricks as sinkers but even they gave up. Headed down south and tried casting lures into the churned up water, where I was bitten off. There were more people fishing down south but still having issues with the currents. Did find heapes of pipis just by churning up the sand and waiting for a wave to wash them out. Just ended up running around on the dunes and cooking up on the tailgate. Was pretty boggy with many people getting bogged at the entrance. 

Didn't really see anyone catching anything and quite a few people just packed up their gear and just ran up and down the beach and dunes. 

• Thanks 1

Stocko has never been kind to me - with the one exception every time I went there I got blown off the beach . Probably the only tip I can give you is keep moving , it is a big beach with lots of gutters so if one doesn’t produce within say half an hour move to another and try again . When the salmon are on you will see crowds of people flicking lures for them then the whole bunch will migrate along and wait for the fish to arrive - it is amazing to watch !

Like most beaches, Stockton beach front is always changing. We cruise along and try to find small waves mostly around Tin City towards Anna Bay. I find anywhere along towards to shipwreck has nasty big waves. Very hard to fish.

The missus does will on freshly caught beach worms, catching from Whiting, bream and trevally. And i just catch shovel nose rays.

During sunset i find is best time for Tailor, which we can sometimes see bust ups, Would throw a pilly on star sinker, catch a few then the school would move on.