Sydney Harbour Tailors

Gengar

Went out on Sat for a quick afternoon session. It was pretty quiet to start off but saw a ton of garfish swimming around. Unfortunately didn't have any bread or bait with me otherwise it would have been fun to land some. Recently I have been using these minnow jerkbaits (I think that is what they are called) and have had some good success when there is surface action and/or fishing shallow areas (the other good thing is that they avoid snags). Soon enough landed a couple of legal tailors which after a quick measure went back to the water to grow bigger.

Also hooked on a salmon but the hook came off when it jumped out of the water. Must be my technique or the fact that its a treble hook? but when I do hook onto a salmon using these jerkbaits probably 50% of the time the salmon is able to flick out the hook when it jumps out of the water. Any advice to keep the hook in?

Thanks for reading!

1762575140_20230128_155833(Large).thumb.jpg.0d6272cc2870534c16dd483e35a64aae.jpg995857263_20230128_154620(Large).thumb.jpg.b60d913ff8b4d85aa4b20c8ce699d137.jpg

• Like 12

Don’t worry about your technique, salmon are known for throwing the hooks with their jumping and thrashing about. They have quite soft mouths so the hooks pull easily too. If you land half the salmon that you hook you’re doing okay.

They are fun to catch, fight hard and do the aerial thing so I just enjoy that part half expecting to lose them.

Some people remove the trebles and use single hooks to improve their catch rate.

Fil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

Don’t worry about your technique, salmon are known for throwing the hooks with their jumping and thrashing about. They have quite soft mouths so the hooks pull easily too. If you land half the salmon that you hook you’re doing okay.

They are fun to catch, fight hard and do the aerial thing so I just enjoy that part half expecting to lose them.

Some people remove the trebles and use single hooks to improve their catch rate.

Fil

Cheers mate for so long I thought it was my technique! Yep I love seeing the aerial and they do fight hard so great fun!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blaxland said:

I replace all my trebles with single hooks mostly so I can unhook the fish easier. I drop plenty but if your getting hook ups your doing the right things. Hard to keep pressure om when they jump!

I might just try switching out the treble for a single and see how that goes. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hey @Gengar @blaxlandand @LuckyFilare on the money with replacing trebles with single hooks. I put 2 singles on to replace a treble, but one facing up and other facing down. Only downside is that it can change the action of the lure a bit (not that it matters too much with salmon as they’ll hit anything that moves - at Fraser Island, I have caught them with a ganged hook rig with Alfoil- silver paper squashed around the hooks). Also if you keep the line tight with no slack, the chance of throwing the hook is greatly reduced, you can do this by always having a bend in the rod and keeping the tip up, but this also encourages them to jump. When they are hungry though, there is usually so many around you you hook up again quickly. I had salmon (and Bonito) last night -  smoked = yum.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

All good advice above in aid of keeping a salmon on the hook.  
If there’s one thing I can add, it’s try keeping your rod tip low when fighting them. Instead of holding the rod vertically, hold it out to the side ( that’s assuming you have the room) parallel to the water and pump and wind horizontally. By keeping the angle of your line low, the fish will be less encouraged to jump.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

All good advice above in aid of keeping a salmon on the hook.  
If there’s one thing I can add, it’s try keeping your rod tip low when fighting them. Instead of holding the rod vertically, hold it out to the side ( that’s assuming you have the room) parallel to the water and pump and wind horizontally. By keeping the angle of your line low, the fish will be less encouraged to jump.

More good advice. I forgot to mention this as I do it without thinking. You can often tell that the fish is about to jump a they rise up in the water column and that's when you lay the rod over. It's also good technique to use with other fish that jump I.e. trout, and if you ever go to the tropics Barra and queenfish, who are  are masters at the big jump and head shake which is often when you see your lure coming back at you minus the fish!

• Like 2