Le Grand Jete or The Great Leap (Are you doing ballet? Part 2)

Madkanu

So this morning I got out to my local jetty on Pittwater (Salt Pan) to apply @DerekD's teachings and practice the casts of my dreams.  Beautiful morning for it.

IMG_0694.thumb.jpg.ca220c49097e25f5a4c18f73c93c9f02.jpg

The casting went much more smoothly after having a few nights to sleep on it and better yet - I was soon into the action.

Nothing too exciting for most of the folks on this forum but I was pretty stoked about my first topwater lure catch on a sugapen.

image.thumb.png.62d9a8d21e1197f9cc1ef0dd51d24d40.png

Although the only action I was getting were these small yellowtail snooks, it was quite interesting to watch how they were coming up and having a look at the sugapen, then lunging when I got it jerking away from them again.  That was some good action for 15 minutes or so then it died down so I soon switched over to a bent minnow to give that a try.

A couple casts in on the bent minnow I saw a small (maybe 20cm) little snook leaping out the water coming towards me from a different direction than my line.  I first spotted him about 4m away and he did about four great leaps before I saw the much larger fish that was chasing him down.  The little guy got to the jetty at my feet then made hard right turn in an attempt to get undercover.  He didn't make it and I saw the 80cm or so snook (I think) hit him broadside and that was breakfast for the big guy.  I scrambled to get my bend minnow in front of him to offer dessert but had no such luck.  For me it was just a show, no meal.

All up, I landed and released three yellowtail snooks.  I'm guessing rats by the fishraiders' standards and nothing to write home about but I will anyway because my dad is interested in hearing how the Australian fishing journey is going. :)

Thanks again @DerekD and @zmk1962 for getting me started!

• Like 13

I'm guessing the larger fish was a Long Tom. Super vicious teeth on them too.

Glad to see you are starting to get some successes. It should fire you up to get out more and then get more successes. Self fulfilling prophecy.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Yowie said:

There are a few of them in different waterways. The fillets are edible, not great eating, but need a sauce of some type to enhance the flavour.

Thanks @Yowie.  Well if I come up with one big enough to make filleting it worth the trouble I’ll give it a try. I’ve found enough lemon, butter, garlic and black pepper can make almost anything taste good!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DerekD said:

I'm guessing the larger fish was a Long Tom. Super vicious teeth on them too.

Glad to see you are starting to get some successes. It should fire you up to get out more and then get more successes. Self fulfilling prophecy.

Thanks @DerekD.  Judging by the photos on google it could very well have been a long tom.  Either way, those teeth made short work of the little guy. 

2 hours ago, HawkesburyParadise said:

In my short fishing hobby, I've only seen the word Snook in North America. Didn't know we had something like that too.

All news to me as well @HawkesburyParadise  I had never heard the term snook in Canada but it looks like a Pike and according to Google is also known as an Australian Pike. 

Edited by Madkanu
Answered my own question.

10 hours ago, HawkesburyParadise said:

In my short fishing hobby, I've only seen the word Snook in North America. Didn't know we had something like that too.

I'm a long way from being familiar with fish names, but I recall a time that was lean on the South Australian Snapper fishing, so we went and targeted SNOOK. Strange rig too. A handline with slim barrel sinkers every 2-3 feet and a feather lure on the end. This was towed behind the boat at a reasonably quick speed. Caught heaps of the very toothy SNOOK.  ( Sphyraena novaehollandiae ). We had plenty of Snapper so didn't keep the snook.  bn

• Like 1

Glad that you are enjoying your fishing adventures Madkanu. Fishing is a great pastime, so many different things to try. Good luck with your journey,

Love the photos too.    bn

Edited by big Neil
more info
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

Glad that you are enjoying your fishing adventures Madkanu. Fishing is a great pastime, so many different things to try. Good luck with your journey,

Love the photos too.    bn

Thanks @big Neil .  Was bitten by the bug again after years away during my last visit to Canada and a very productive morning of bass fishing. Appreciate the encouragement.  I’m having fun for sure!

• Like 1