Umina Beach 04/02 - Catching good vibes not fish

kantong

Took the family out of Sydney for the weekend and set up camp at Umina. Lovely place for the kids to run outside and get active.

I got to fish the beach both Saturday and Sunday mornings before the kids woke up. I fished the last few hours of the incoming tide so I was hopeful I bag a few, but alas it was not to be. Perhaps it's so shallow for so far out that even the tiny gutters arn't holding fish...Perhaps I'm just not that great at beach fishing... I suspect it's the latter.

Only catching 1 good sized whiting but what a way to start the morning. Beautiful sunrises both days, such good vibes. I did have a bit of swim during the day and didn't see much fish at all in the surf, I wonder if I have to cast out further to where it gets really deeper? Keen to hear your thoughts.

While I ponder how I can catch more fish, enjoy this blurry shot of the whiting that didn't want its photo taken and a shot of the sunrise.

Tight lines!

sunrise.jpg

whiting.jpg

• Like 13

The whiting will be feeding in the water stirred up by the waves, so that could be out a bit of distance, however, sometimes the whiting will be quite close to shore. The waves do not have to be breaking to stir up some sand to attract fish.

Looking at those waves would indicate that the water depth only slowly increases with distance from the beach, and no obvious signs of a gutter or channel in the photos. In situations like that, I have found whiting not too far from the shore, though not large sized ones.

• Like 1

Thanks Yowie, this one whiting was caught fairly close. I didn't find any deep gutters as I could basically see people wading out all along the beach during the day. The one pocket I fished had a minor drop, but ever so slightly and I could still stand in the gutter if I wanted to.

Although “lonely”, one whiting is better than none - have you tried “wiggling” for pipis- this often stirs up the sand, releases the tiny pipis and bring the whiting in and they are great bait (equal to worms in my opinion) - I’ve even caught Jewies on pipis.

• Like 1

Forget fishing at Umina  once the sun comes up - best to fish sundown and into the night, In the morning head to the northern end of the beach and fish where the main channel is near half tide rocks and try there but it does get busy there too . If you are fishing Umina beach think of it more like a beach in a river or estuary, no real wave action to form gutters and very little water movement compared to an oceanic beach like palm beach  so cast out and keep your bait moving slowly by winding the reel handle slowly or by lifting the rod tip and lowering it  again as you wind the slack line in . There is a seafood shop in Umina opposite the shell petrol station that usually has decent fresh Hawkesbury prawns - probably better than frozen worms or pipies , my next go to bait would be nippers .

• Like 1

I generally found that when the sun comes up the swimmers and surfers came out and things go quiet, if you set a bait and leave it long enough sooner or later a shark or ray will find it. My bait is in  just in behind the shore break and I keep it moving slowly , I don’t cast out so much but more along the beach so as I slowly retrieve  the wave action is pushing my bait right into the back of the shore break . Trick to fishing the channel is to fish around the tide change , cast up current and let the current take your bait along with it and keep in contact with the bait  by winding the reel as the bait washes toward you or cast out and walk along with the bait as it drifts along . I fish this area all the time although usually in a boat but see a lot of fishos making the same mistake - they anchor the bait to the bottom with a giant sinker and the pickers get their bait . We are constantly catching good flathead right where their baits are because our baits are moving . In essence the way I fish the beach and channel with a bait is the same way I fish them with lures .

• Like 5