Doing the miles...

Another 35 plus degree weekend meant the only hope for some trout was to wake up stupidly early. Had to be back by 10:30 am so i only had about 2 and a half hours to fish. 3:30am wake up, nearly 2hr drive, and hit the streams just before first light.

This particular spot was one from my last report. 3rd time here, very skinny water, but judging by previous results the quality of fish is unbelievable. The first hour was hard going, with some big swirls, a few dropped hookups, and lots of snags. Caught a few 10-20cm redfin but they are more of a frustrating catch than a consolation.

Finally a cast into a small backwater, hooked up, and the fish took off, with the reel singing. Great tussle before I netted a beautiful hook jawed brown. Went 49.5cm on the mat of truth. Released to make another anglers day.

Fished back to the car for more hits and follows, including a hit from a rainbow that would have been nudging 60cm. Landed and removed around 20 redfin from the waterway.

Love this area, so peaceful at this time of day. Happy with the result for a short session.

20230218_195521.jpg

20230218_195547.jpg

20230218_195612.jpg

20230218_195700.jpg

Edited by R E G I C Y C L E
  • Like 15

4 hours ago, Centrepin said:

These are stonking fish.

Well done. Your on fire. We just have to get you some on Fly.

Cheers Geoff, I need to have another crack with the fly rod, just enjoying a new spin combo at the moment!

4 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

3:30am wake up call for a couple of hours fishing! Now that is next level hardcore!

Well rewarded though, what a whopper of a trout!

Cheers @Little_Flatty, i work 7-5, 5 days a week, and often have busy weekends, so ive learnt to make the most of any 'spare' time.

• Like 1