Botany Bay mixed bag

fisholb

Hi all

its been awhile now since I last posted

took 2 of my bff fishing recently 

target was first kingy for one of my bff

got to the ramp around 6am and the ramp was already half full

decided to troll from the ramp all the way to little bay hoping for something big 

decided to use the Penn 8500 and Penn 6500 with 50lb braid and 50lb leader using the halco redhead 160dd and the mackbait 4in in the 2 Penn combos and my 2 bff using the Penn 4500 combo with 20lb braid and 20lb leader to spin the Jackson 28g lures and Rapala cd7

we got our first hit around cape banks and landed our first bonito for the day on the Jackson g lures

for the next 2hrs we keep getting hookups and double hookups from cape banks all the way to little bay and back

ended up with 13 bonito on the troll biggest one around the 2-3kg

decided to go back inside to molli when the wind started to pick up

got to the molli reef around 10am and fished the reef until around 1pm

i promised one of my bff I will get him his 1st kingy so I was full of hope when I saw a large school of kingy rats busting up around the reef

trolled around the reef but can’t get any of the kingys to take the lures so decided to anchor up and use bait instead

for the next 3hrs we hooked up plenty of kingy rats and my 2 bff both landed kingy rats up to 60cm on my Penn 4000 combo with 20lb braid and 10lb leader using pilly cubes

lost over a dozen kingys on the side of the boat and ended up with a mixed bag 

I’m so happy we got our target fish today for one of my bff

got to the ramp around 2pm

thanks for reading

D26881DA-8B9C-4147-A976-977AAF9BC4A4.jpeg

• Like 10

Nice haul of bonitos and slimies!

You tend to get a lot of rats on bait as they grab it before the larger fish. Throw over a a good sized livie to weed out the smaller kings.

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, fisholb said:

Thanks for the advice mate

yes usually we always put a live bait out but that day no yakkas and the slimys were a bit big 😂😂😂 I had a shark took my live bait last time and big Aussie salmons

Yeah, some days yakkas are hard to come by.

Lots of fun in that catch. Your friends would have been chuffed. 
My preference is to slit the throat and bleed bonnies as soon as caught if I plan to eat them. It improves the flavour and texture significantly. 
cheers Zoran 

22 hours ago, fisholb said:

Thanks for the advice mate

yes usually we always put a live bait out but that day no yakkas and the slimys were a bit big 😂😂😂 I had a shark took my live bait last time and big Aussie salmons

A live bait is never "too big" you would be very surprised how big a bait even smaller Kingfish can/will take and get down easy.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 7:30 AM, noelm said:

A live bait is never "too big" you would be very surprised how big a bait even smaller Kingfish can/will take and get down easy.

I’ll try and use one of the big slimys next time

we got a black marlin last time we used a big slimys for bait 

On 2/20/2023 at 7:21 AM, zmk1962 said:

Lots of fun in that catch. Your friends would have been chuffed. 
My preference is to slit the throat and bleed bonnies as soon as caught if I plan to eat them. It improves the flavour and texture significantly. 
cheers Zoran 

Yes we usually bled but it gets too messy on the boat 

On 2/22/2023 at 6:26 AM, Pickles said:

A great report @fisholb, thanks for sharing - heaps of Bonnie’s around at the moment (I love them as fresh cut bait). I bet your mates loved getting those Kingies, sounds like a real “rat attack”

Yes mate

kingys are always fun to catch on 10lb 😎😎😎😂😂😂