Shoalhaven river

BaitDropper

Not exactly about boats, as such, BUT, after tinkering with my old hydraulic steering, trying to salvage another season out of her, decided to launch under the bridge at Nowra and take the wife for a nice cruise along to Greenwell point.

If anyone hasn't been on the river, I can honestly say your missing the opportunity to see a fantastic, if under utilized, waterways.

Had a superb day out, tied up at Greenwell point, pointed out that someone would need to stay with the boat, So off she went down to the local shop and returned with a very nice coffee to go.

Plenty of Fisho's coming in after a morning out, from both in the river itself and those going out wide, happy to chat about their outing.. Headed back towards Nowra, then decided to head up stream past the bridge,  absolutely beautiful part of the river, for quite a few Km's, completely different landscape. Passed the odd lunitic skier along the way, but there wasn't to many of them to ruin the day.  Pulled the rod out once, only for 15 minutes or so, saw plenty of baitfish jumping madly, figured something was chasing them up,, didn't get lucky, and just carried on back to the ramp.

I will endeavour to try and do some serious fishing on the shoalhaven eventually, by all accounts, and with some local advice, but sometimes it's great to leave the rods at home and just cruise around and have a good look.

So for anyone looking to take their kids, or wife out for a great day on the river, maybe target some flathead or Bass, or even have a crack at the resident Due's, I would highly recommend in doing so...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Love it down Nowra.I’m planning on going soon during the week.Sure beats anywhere in Sydney for serenity.

That it does Fab..

It's been a tad patchy over the last few weeks, but if persistent, there's always something on offer.

I've only been in the area for about 12 months or so, still impressed on what it has to offer..

9 hours ago, BaitDropper said:

That it does Fab..

It's been a tad patchy over the last few weeks, but if persistent, there's always something on offer.

I've only been in the area for about 12 months or so, still impressed on what it has to offer..

At least you live local.I’m an hour and a half away roughly.The paper mill,Broughton creek,drifting along the islands like pig island,Numbaa islands have produced fish for me over the last 30yrs or so (I use to fish there every weekend about 20yrs ago) drifting around.

We did alright on flathead,bream,whiting and by catch of flounder at times.

We are by no means gun fishos but usually would catch a few decent fish back then.

I was there about 3 yrs ago and didn’t do too well.

Good luck in gods country.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

usally get some nice flatties just north of the punt to comerong.also big bream near the sunken wall just south of the punt .its a shame they let the pros net it at night up to the punt from greenwell point .defintitly less fish than there used to be .but agree bait dropper i love the place it feels your like you have left the rat race behind cheers dunc333

I'm  a good 20 minutes from my place to Greenwell point, which in my opinion is the best launch facilities and access to head out wide.

With the weather how it's been over the last 12 months, Or just my timing, I always found the days I wanted to go out wide for a fish, was always blowing. So I launched a fair bit at Nowra just to get the boat out for a run ( or rather me out for a run), I've not tired at all of just cruising on the Shoalhaven for an afternoon's boating, regularly doing the run from the bridge at Nowra thru to Greenwell point. I haven't really targeted fishing the river at all really, so far I've only enjoyed the views. It's been a great place to take visitors out for a run, of late which we have had a fair few of them, most have been non fisho's, but really enjoyed the river itself. It really is a fantastic waterway !      

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Lovely spot there. Best fish and chip shop in NSW there - Pelican Rocks Cafe and Restaurant 

We had lunch there a few weeks ago with friends, it was a very nice feed indeed.   My daughter is starting her paramedic career in Bombaderry so I am sure we will be going back soon.  

• Like 1