The old Windang boat shed

Fab1

Does anyone have any tales of the history of the lake illawarra boat shed? I use to fish from the park behind the house land based.Fishing platform there now.I hired a rickety old wooden boat there in the early 90s from memory.That weed bed in front is gone to.

perhaps @Yowie or @noelm could fill me in on its history?4709DE25-5675-43A0-B983-EBE691B9E4C8.thumb.jpeg.593dfbf77783671873e727f4ad3e33ae.jpeg

Edited by Fab1
  • Like 6

Where is it in relation to the Windang Bridge? 

I stayed at the van park about 1km north of the bridge, in the late 50's early 60's, then my grandparents moved their van to the Oaklands van park early 60's to the early 70's, by which time I did not visit anymore.

I vagely remember boatsheds to the west of the bridge.

13 hours ago, Yowie said:

Where is it in relation to the Windang Bridge? 

I stayed at the van park about 1km north of the bridge, in the late 50's early 60's, then my grandparents moved their van to the Oaklands van park early 60's to the early 70's, by which time I did not visit anymore.

I vagely remember boatsheds to the west of the bridge.

Yes west of the bridge on the north side.I’ve put a photo up.

22 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

I have a vague recollection of my parents hiring a boat from there and taking my brother and I out fishing. It would have been early 60s and I can’t remember too much else.

@Yowiethe boat shed was on the north west side of the bridge. 

Correct .

21 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

https://lostwollongong.com/wollongong/ 

This site has heaps of info. Seems it became a burger joint. There is also a fb group Lost Wollongong. I messaged a family who has lived there for generations and will add any info.  

Thanks @Fab1 love this topic  

I’ll have a look next time I go.Love old photos and history.2BC2D412-3960-4E53-ACB4-486355A056FC.thumb.jpeg.dfedb15d6aa6686b4ddfbd824e100c97.jpeg

3 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Yes west of the bridge on the north side.I’ve put a photo up.

Correct .

I’ll have a look next time I go.Love old photos and history.2BC2D412-3960-4E53-ACB4-486355A056FC.thumb.jpeg.dfedb15d6aa6686b4ddfbd824e100c97.jpeg

Thanks Donna, the photo puts it into perspective. AND I do remember it.

From where the photographer is looking north, this was what was called the back channel. A few big bream lived in it, and busted off light lines.

I was only a small child but remember the boatshed well- it was always exciting hiring a boat from there. We (grandparents) had a permanent van in Oaklands caravan park and my Grandma bought a tinnie from Knock and Kirby's at Warrawong, it was the first aluminium with an 'outboard' motor down the Windang end. Grandma surprised Grandpa with the boat after she won the money on a huge 'daily double' at the TAB. First anyone knew of the boat was when a big truck pulled up and asked where it was to be put, Grandma just smiled and said to leave it on the bank next to the water and Pop (Grandpa) was stunned. The boat was left there for years in the same spot with a small chain to a Casurina tree- the logo on the side was a top hat and cane with the word 'Topper' painted onto the white hull. Motor and all boat accessories were just left in the van's annexe- only clipped up and nothing was ever pinched.

Quite often had to hire a couple of boats as well, due to extended family gatherings and friends in three adjacent vans. Very fond memories of early childhood. There were always fishers lined up standing in the water either side of the boatshed fishing for Luderick. The old boats were classic style timber with a kedge-style anchor each end and no chain, just thick rope.

You only had to row straight out from the boatshed to find fish in either the main channel or our favourite back channel

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Thanks Donna, the photo puts it into perspective. AND I do remember it.

From where the photographer is looking north, this was what was called the back channel. A few big bream lived in it, and busted off light lines.

Now I’m being called Donna?😂😂I remember it also.Shame it’s gone.

42 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

I was only a small child but remember the boatshed well- it was always exciting hiring a boat from there. We (grandparents) had a permanent van in Oaklands caravan park and my Grandma bought a tinnie from Knock and Kirby's at Warrawong, it was the first aluminium with an 'outboard' motor down the Windang end. Grandma surprised Grandpa with the boat after she won the money on a huge 'daily double' at the TAB. First anyone knew of the boat was when a big truck pulled up and asked where it was to be put, Grandma just smiled and said to leave it on the bank next to the water and Pop (Grandpa) was stunned. The boat was left there for years in the same spot with a small chain to a Casurina tree- the logo on the side was a top hat and cane with the word 'Topper' painted onto the white hull. Motor and all boat accessories were just left in the van's annexe- only clipped up and nothing was ever pinched.

Quite often had to hire a couple of boats as well, due to extended family gatherings and friends in three adjacent vans. Very fond memories of early childhood. There were always fishers lined up standing in the water either side of the boatshed fishing for Luderick. The old boats were classic style timber with a kedge-style anchor each end and no chain, just thick rope.

You only had to row straight out from the boatshed to find fish in either the main channel or our favourite back channel

What a great read! Gramps would have thought all his xmases came at once receiving that boat.Shame people can’t leave others property alone these days.Laws are way to soft for everything in this country in my opinion.Bring back the old days.

• Like 1

Seems many of us have fond memories of Windang.

We lived in Coogee and every Christmas holidays we booked into the council caravan park. We had a magnificent canvas tent. It had dividers for rooms. Mum and Dad had a dbl bed stretcher and my brother and I had a dbl bunk stretcher. 
We had a kitchen with Primus stove, a kero lamp (Dad warned not to touch the mantle) and an ice chest. 
The iceman used to come around with the big ice blocks and we had a plastic dish to collect it in. 
We had about 6 families around us. The men would dragnet at Primbee and come back late with prawns. The ladies had the big boilers on to cook them. 
We would walk across to the island when low tide and go ten pin bowling at Warrawong. 
We played Canasta and Cribbage and Euchre and still love cards to this day. 
Later years I had my first beer at the Windang Bowling Club 😂😂

Those were the days …….

• Like 5

Many moons a go I was in love with a stunning lady. Her prents had a beach house at Windang. As mentioned in another post I used to fish there & probably crossed paths with @Yowie but we will never know..

Still a top place, & many memories.

• Like 3

Sorry Fab. It was your photo. 🤣

I have not been fishing for a week, and my brain is not functioning properly. :insane:

I am heading to Pambula in a few days time, van in the beach caravan park, so things will return to normal. 😂  Some beach fishing for a change.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

There were a few big bream in that back channel. 6 pound mono handlines were no match for them, they just kept going.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

Many moons a go I was in love with a stunning lady. Her prents had a beach house at Windang. As mentioned in another post I used to fish there & probably crossed paths with @Yowie but we will never know..

Still a top place, & many memories.

I fished down there, up to the very early 70's, mostly during the 60's.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Seems many of us have fond memories of Windang.

We lived in Coogee and every Christmas holidays we booked into the council caravan park. We had a magnificent canvas tent. It had dividers for rooms. Mum and Dad had a dbl bed stretcher and my brother and I had a dbl bunk stretcher. 
We had a kitchen with Primus stove, a kero lamp (Dad warned not to touch the mantle) and an ice chest. 
The iceman used to come around with the big ice blocks and we had a plastic dish to collect it in. 
We had about 6 families around us. The men would dragnet at Primbee and come back late with prawns. The ladies had the big boilers on to cook them. 
We would walk across to the island when low tide and go ten pin bowling at Warrawong. 
We played Canasta and Cribbage and Euchre and still love cards to this day. 
Later years I had my first beer at the Windang Bowling Club 😂😂

Those were the days …….

Was not in to the cards, however, prawning at night, keep a few small ones as livies, cook the rest for a feed.

In the morning, head out at sunrise, catch some sand mullet, sell them to the bait shop, eat breakfast, head out with the live prawns for flatties and whiting, late lunch, maybe catch a few more mullet, prawning again, etc.

I slept in the annexe, did not disturb anyone, leave out a few scraps so the early morning seagulls would squawk - a cheap form of alarm clock -  then out of bed and into the fishing again.

The Windang Caravan Park.

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Sorry Fab. It was your photo. 🤣

I have not been fishing for a week, and my brain is not functioning properly. :insane:

I am heading to Pambula in a few days time, van in the beach caravan park, so things will return to normal. 😂  Some beach fishing for a change.

Is that the social club meetup @Yowie
New organiser 🤔

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Is that the social club meetup @Yowie
New organiser 🤔

Correct there Donna. The NSW meeting. Maybe a few days around Eden, then to Buchan Caves for a meeting with the Victorian group.

Yes, new organiser. Will find out the gos about the change.

• Haha 1

I'm back from holidays, so only just saw this. Been to that boat shed hundreds of times, all the buildings on that part of the lake got resumed and demolished to make open space, all the way to the caravan park, right where it stood is a red hot Blackfish spot when they are "on" the current runs fast there. Fished the lake for decades, mostly only crabbing now though.

• Like 2

The lake has quite a lot of stories from the "old days" on the south eastern side, there used to be a few "guest houses" one quite famous one was transported in pieces from somewhere and reassembled beside the lake, they all had lots of rooms and big verandas  facing the lake, I think there is only one left now. Windang bridge used to be an old wooden structure, and a trip over in a car was as good as any amusement park ride! the old boards used to kind of creak and make a rhythmical almost train like noise, "clackerty clack" the old bolts would rattle and bang. Lake Illawarra was known for Prawning, during summer nights the lake would be a sea of old Tilly lamps and people scooping big Prawns, when the new entrance was constructed the Prawns disappeared, there hasn't been a decent catch since (including the Pros who rarely even Prawn there now) The Lake has still a lot of Blue Swimmers to be had, and some decent fish for those who know what they are doing. There is a nice park and kiosk on the south eastern side, plenty of parking and a good cycle/walking path going for miles it both directions. The caravan parks still get packed during summer and there is still two bait and tackle stores there on the highway. That old boatshed was an "icon" forever, hire boats were cheap and it was common to see a non boater hire a "putt putt" and run aground on the first sand bank. Fishing off the bridge is a hazard to boaters (and illegal) during summer (most of the year really) going under the bridge is a very "eyes open" affair, getting tangled in someone's unseen line is not a lot of fun! Overall the water quality in the Lake has improved (in my opinion) but Prawning is dead and gone sadly.

• Like 4

@noelmI used to love going over the rattly old bridge as a kid and as you say, the sagging structure between the pylons was like a fun park ride in the soft sprung, old Holden.  
We still have a few timber bridges in the Shoalhaven, but nothing as long as the old, Windang one. 

• Like 3

Yep, the old bridge was another "icon" relegated to only memories and old photos now. Windang was kind of the end of the road (before I was born) electricity, post office, telephone, "town water" proper tarred road, all stopped at Windang. I have a copy of an old diary written by a person that had a holiday house in my street (dirt track) back in the late '40s and kept up to date until the mid '60s, it tells of walking along Warilla beach to Windang to get supplies and any mail forwarded from home (Burwood in Sydney) and only getting to their holiday house at low tide, because the bridge to Barrack Point was still not built, it also details coming from Burwood via Appin, I guess that's where the road went then? It also details fishing in Little Lake near my place, and catching a bucket of Prawns to be cooked in a used kerosene tin (no idea about Kerosene tins/drums) over an open fire. Their original holiday house was only demolished about 10 years ago by their grandkids to build units.

• Like 3

Great memories @noelmhey. I have similar growing up at Culburra, like having to go to Nowra by boat when the road was too muddy and as many prawns as you could eat out of Wollumboola. 
I remember kerosene tins. There was the standard, round 5 gallon and a rectangular 2 gallon one.  
Dad used to cook our prawns in a 10 gallon “hopper” over an outdoor, wood fire that also doubled as our hot water boiler. People always knew when the prawns were running by the smell of our clothes haha.

• Like 3