Keep casting off lures

ireallylovefishies22

Hey all, just wondering how i can stop casting lures off?

using 7 pound braid down to 6 pound fluoro leader

sometimes when i try casting, the line snaps and i dont know why. maybe its my technique, but its getting annoying because ive already lost an atomic hardz and a sugapen to this! I dont think its my knots, since the line has broken off cleanly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Several things come to mind.

Firstly, what braid are you using. Cheap or well known such as Daiwa, Shimano or Berkley. If you take a good length (over 1m) in your hands can you gradually load it up and break it without cutting yourself?

Secondly, where is it breaking. In the mainline near the leader knot, the leader or the joiner knot. Is it breaking inside or outside the rod.

Next, is your bail arm flicking over on your casts leading to a shock loading? If you are getting breaks in both leader and mainline it suggest technique is the issue or it is catching on something.

Is it wrapping on the rod tip when you are casting (also leading to shock loading)?

Is the line chaffing suggesting that one of the inserts in your guides has chipped. Alternatively is there a sharp point around the bail arm roller.

I've got a few other things in mind but this is a good starting point.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 2

thanks for the help, Derek

For the braid, im currently not sure what brand it is, ill have to go check.
The line seems to breaking outside the rod, and yes near the leader knot.
No, the bail is not flicking over when i cast.
I think you could be onto something about the guides. My rod is quite old and beaten up :( and inside one of the guides the smooth ring has fallen out.

Thanks for the help again :)

• Like 1

I agree with DerekD, I have had the same frustrating issues and it came down to 2 things. There is a small crack or damage in a rod guide breaking the line or the line is wrapping around your tip. If it wraps around your tip sometimes you will damage the rod.

Otherwise check other appendages on your rod as I lost a few trout lures to line catching on the hook keeper and breaking.

Had this discussion up at Coffs last week in a big tackle shop - the advice was to run pantyhose through your rod guides and look for anywhere the pantyhose catch showing evidence of runner damage.

Good luck.

Also your floating lures should resurface and available for retreival

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Hoods said:

Had this discussion up at Coffs last week in a big tackle shop - the advice was to run pantyhose through your rod guides and look for anywhere the pantyhose catch showing evidence of runner damage.

That’s clever!

I’ve had lures fly off a couple of times, first was technique issue, my finger was sometimes catching the line on the way out as part of my cast action. The second time was indeed a broken guide. Losing that ring exposes the line to a solid metal edge. 
If it’s the tip ring, that’s easily replaced and my local tackle shop swapped it for $7. If it’s a deeper guide it costs a lot more and is harder to get parts, you might have an excuse for a new rod.

I began using a carry tube to avoid breaking guides again since I had to buy a new rod due to the above. Cool, but a couple times I’ve forgotten my reel which now is packed separately!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Hoods said:

I agree with DerekD, I have had the same frustrating issues and it came down to 2 things. There is a small crack or damage in a rod guide breaking the line or the line is wrapping around your tip. If it wraps around your tip sometimes you will damage the rod.

Otherwise check other appendages on your rod as I lost a few trout lures to line catching on the hook keeper and breaking.

Good luck.

Also your floating lures should resurface and available for retreival

iI might get a new rod as my birthday is coming up in a few days. As for my lures, i cast them pretty far into to the water 😥 and i wasnt too keen on going for a swim. If anyone lives near balmain and find a sugapen, you know where it came from lol. 

i reckon the main reason im casting off is my technique. Not too sure what im doing wrong tho, and im not doing massive massive casts.

thanks for the advice :)

Edited by ireallylovefishies22

Hi mate.

If you are in the Balmain area I may be able to help with the casting technique. I mentor people with lure fishing and there is a topwater component.

If you are under 18 then it will need to be done with presence of at least one of your parents.

Regards,

Derek

• Like 3

Hey Derek

Sorry, but currently im not too interested in taking lessons. Hope you understand.

I've got some idea of what i could be doing wrong tho:

my casting stroke is too long

i stop the cast too suddenly

there may be other factors involved, but currently i think they're the two main reasons.

ill have to try a different technique when i go out next time, ill let you know how it goes.

All good and probably more satisfying if you work it out yourself. Offer still stands if you want to take it up down the track.

Have you read this one:

Edited by DerekD

On 3/13/2023 at 7:22 PM, ireallylovefishies22 said:

Hey all, just wondering how i can stop casting lures off?

using 7 pound braid down to 6 pound fluoro leader

sometimes when i try casting, the line snaps and i dont know why. maybe its my technique, but its getting annoying because ive already lost an atomic hardz and a sugapen to this! I dont think its my knots, since the line has broken off cleanly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If your thinking it’s not the knots then it’s probably old or worn out braid. It happens to all line eventually. Test tug every knot you tie to about the pressure you think it should take before using, then you know if something is not right before losing lures or fish etc. 

On 3/13/2023 at 8:59 PM, ireallylovefishies22 said:

side one of the guides the smooth ring has fallen out.

That sure won’t help…. I’d be getting the guide replaced if you haven’t already.