what is the Cheapest way to send parcels around the country?

leonardgid

hello Raiders , some time in the future  i will be selling some  of my gear  on Ebay , i ve noticed that  some heavy items like a computers   can be send across the country at a  fair amount  eg. $20 , i was  wondering in any of you  do any online selling  and how do you go about doing this to keep the freight costs down  , austraila post is far too expensive  the way that i see it , any ideas will help me here a lot ,  thank you for your time and advice as always ,  

Buyer to organise and pay freight - preferably with insurance or I put pick up only ( still doesn’t stop people from asking if the seller will post it though and they are always on the other side of the country) . Don’t forget that you will have to package it up well enough so it doesn’t get damaged and this will also cost you . Recently had a guy ask if i minded building a crate so I can send an mini lathe  via a courier that I would also have to organise - told him to go back and read the listing - Will not post - pick up only ! The shipping from Sydney to Perth was more than the final bid on the lathe !

Edited by XD351

Couriers Please. You have to have an account.

I use Australia Post all the time. Not expensive.

I had to send a Nudge bar to WA. Freight company wanted $233.00  Australia Post  $33.00.

Cheers.

I do a bunch of online selling and am posting things everywhere. I found cutting the box down to the point where it only just fits helps which also reduces the amount of packaging. You want to reduce weight as much as possible. I try to avoid shipping large things but couriers are usually the best bet. I got some rods shipped from Qld I think via courier, was like $30. Not a fan of shipping rods but you can get some really long tubes that work well. 

I use Australia Post to ship pottery to places, usually within Australia. Everything has to be correctly packaged, a box within a box, labelled FRAGILE, etc. To date I have had no reports of breakages (LUCKILY) and I have been happy with the costs including insurance.

I recently ordered 40 kg of clay from Sydney (500kms). The freight was to cost $88 on products costing the same amount. NONSENSE. I canceled the order.

Ideally, you need to do some research as I believe, size and weight to be the major factors. Certainly Australia Post measure AND weigh smallish articles to see what is the most cost-efficient option for the item.

bn