Trout and about

Report from a couple of weeks back... had a lot going on so haven't had a chance to post.

A cooler weekend presented an opportunity to fish for trout. Hit the streams with a friend, started at a spot I'd never fished... had some decent follows but only one mini fish... I think a fingerling redfin?? Also nearly stood on a little black snake.

Moved downstream about 5kms to my 'big brown' spot. Didn't take long for my mate to get on to a 50cm brown, his new pb. Shortly after a cracking storm rolled through, which seemed to turn on the bite. I landed 7 brown's, 4 above 40cm, and the biggest going just shy of 50cm. We also found a section of water loaded with redfin around 25cm, well bigger than the average stream reddie. Happily kept half a dozen for a feed, plus one brown. The rest of the 20 or so reddies landed were removed from the waterway.

Cracking session, finished up soaked to the bone from rain but very happy with our success.

20230324_195915.jpg

20230324_200110.jpg

20230324_195954.jpg

20230324_200023.jpg

20230324_200226.jpg

• Like 11

9 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

Some grest fish there, that small one is interesting, I'm pretty sure a native galaxid

Interesting, I hadnt thought of that. It was perfectly jaw hooked so it must have been having a go at the lure. I didn't think anything else but redfin would be so aggressive at this size, but I reckon you're on the money.

Woo-hoo new species 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, R E G I C Y C L E said:

Interesting, I hadnt thought of that. It was perfectly jaw hooked so it must have been having a go at the lure. I didn't think anything else but redfin would be so aggressive at this size, but I reckon you're on the money.

Woo-hoo new species 😂

If you don't mind I'll send the pic to my mate at fisheries and try and get you an actual species ID

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, R E G I C Y C L E said:

Woo-hoo new species 😂

I've had a proper look Mountain galaxid I'm going with

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1