Mosman fishing

faker

Try a squid , sometimes a kingie will chase something like a yakka or a lure just because they can’t help themselves- can be super frustrating when they do that 😂

I remember fishing off the rocks at Avalon many years ago drifting yakkas out under a bobby float , kings would come in and swim around the yakka then disappear. Another fisho lobbed up with the same rig but had squid bait - his squid was in the water no more than a minute before it got smashed , we watched them come in fighting each other to get to the bait first ( swam straight past my yakka 🤬) it was an amazing thing to watch but it frustrated me to death .

Hey @faker, try a white 6” Sluggo on a weedless hook, make sure it’s XS as a decent one will straighten many hooks. My favourite go to if they ignore livies. Ian’s ( @XD351) advice is sound as squid and cuttlefish are no1 Kingie baits - especially if you can catch them and put them out live.

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 10:15 AM, XD351 said:

Try a squid , sometimes a kingie will chase something like a yakka or a lure just because they can’t help themselves- can be super frustrating when they do that 😂

I remember fishing off the rocks at Avalon many years ago drifting yakkas out under a bobby float , kings would come in and swim around the yakka then disappear. Another fisho lobbed up with the same rig but had squid bait - his squid was in the water no more than a minute before it got smashed , we watched them come in fighting each other to get to the bait first ( swam straight past my yakka 🤬) it was an amazing thing to watch but it frustrated me to death .

Was thinking of servo or fish market squid since I can't always get fresh squid  live

Fresh from the market  will be better than frozen but neither are as good as live . The 6 inch white sluggo that Bob mentioned is one of if not the best lure for kings and you will be doing yourself a big favour by having a rod rigged up with one , you can set your livie out and chuck a lure while you wait - you will cover more water and have more options as you can change lures to fish different depths .