Crosslands

Morning raiders, it’s been a while since I’ve gone fishing but on Sunday I went to crosslands reserve camping with some mates.  We didn’t fish but we kayaked and swam a lot in the river and what I noticed was there were a lot of mullet jumping. They were everywhere.  I even saw quite a few bream with some being decent sized but most being small. All this was just right next to the campsite. As we kayaked up the river further into Berowra creek we also saw many fish jumping out with some swimming right under our kayak. However it was extremely shallow and quite frequently we would just step out of the kayak and stand in the middle of the river which was fairly wide but only knee deep. In low tide most of the river actually just became Exposed sand with only a small deeper section still having flowing water. However there were a lot of deep holes, gutters and sections. Anyone been fishing at or near crosslands before? It also looked like a good spot for flatties but I don’t know if they go this much up the river. Cheers

Down stream from the reserve is a huge long flat. Used to catch Bream and Flathead on Rebel  Crawdad lures 45 years ago. My first outing with my now wife was on those flats fishing. She caught a few flathead , bream and Me !   Hmm  vintage cheese with a BBQ lunch. The things you remember !!   Top of the tide / run out best. Needs some drift. Look for any undulations, even small and fish the edges.  Still love flats fishing, long casts, no trees to get caught in ! Calm water!  

Edited by bluefin
  • Like 2

Yes down stream from the camp ground. Toward Berowra.

There was a mud boat ramp there back then for small boats and canoes ( actually that's where I proposed ) There was a creek opposite that sometimes held a flathead at the very back. Deep pool at waterfall.

My  son was, is on here as Bluefinjnr Never got Bluefiness to join.

Now its my grandkids I fish with.

• Like 1

Flathead most certainly do go right up those creeks , they also go right up the canals in Sydney harbour / parra river and I have caught them in the canal at Meadowbank in about a foot of water in a channel that was only a few feet wide .

Next time you go there have a walk around on the flats at low tide and look for flathead lays and the areas where the water runs off the flats into drains which then run into channels  or holes - this is where flatties like to ambush their prey as they are forced off the flats by the receding water .

Aflathead lay - looks coffin shaped .

IMG_0070.jpeg.40e61aaf309944a5674bf58f7554c96e.jpeg

A sandflat drain.
IMG_0071.jpeg.1139496a2703188af7d576cf67b05571.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bluefin said:

Yes down stream from the camp ground. Toward Berowra.

There was a mud boat ramp there back then for small boats and canoes ( actually that's where I proposed ) There was a creek opposite that sometimes held a flathead at the very back. Deep pool at waterfall.

My  son was, is on here as Bluefinjnr Never got Bluefiness to join.

Now its my grandkids I fish with.

Not really any good in there. Get the occasional ray, but the break are hard to even get interested, crab lures, grubs, sugarpens, bait. Won't even take notice of anything. Get the occasional flatty but it's rare. Found a long the edges of the channels and the rocks was best.. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, slothparade said:

Not really any good in there. Get the occasional ray, but the break are hard to even get interested, crab lures, grubs, sugarpens, bait. Won't even take notice of anything. Get the occasional flatty but it's rare. Found a long the edges of the channels and the rocks was best.. 

To be honest that kind of matches my experience at Crosslands. Always been a bit quiet there for me. Nice part of the world to while away the time though. Last time we saw an echidna!

17 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

To be honest that kind of matches my experience at Crosslands. Always been a bit quiet there for me. Nice part of the world to while away the time though. Last time we saw an echidna!

Was more referring to the waterfall. Crosslands when it's going, it's non stop. But yeah when it's quiet theres nothing 

Ah the memories,  fished there in my youth. Jump rock, up stream of the reserve is a good bream spot in summer,  up steam from there it is very shallow but any holes will have fish in them including bass. Have caught a 3kg tailor up past jump rock and bull sharks up there to if your into that. Pm me if you want more info mate.

• Like 1