A bit of salt, a bit of fresh

Long time between posts for me. I've been trying to get out when I can. My wife has been working down the coast a bit and my son has been surfing and doing nippers. This means I've been able to fish in the salt a bit more regularly. I've done a bit of exploring in the yak over summer. The Tomaga, Moruya, Mummuga and Wagonga were kind to me. Most of the time I was just chucking small soft plastics and blades but did experiment with nippers a bit. Mainly small flatties and bream.

I started fishing off the beach consistently for the first time and learnt a fair bit. Lots of salmon landed on either metals or half pilles on a light weight Alvey. The cold water rushing over your feet at sunrise on a remote stretch of beach makes it good to be alive. The next frontier down here for me will be rock fishing but I think I better find a partner or two for that.

I've been up in the mountains a bit for the kid's mountain biking and snuck in a few short sessions. The trout fishing has been fantastic. My two best sessions were in super skinny, steep and scrubby country where there were heaps of small rainbows. Hard going but magic fishing.

It seems I've been away almost every weekend so have not fished much locally (Canberra). I've read the Bidgee has been fishing well for small cod. Inspired by my experience up in the high country I did sneak in a session on a very small local river. I was targeting trout on small soft plastics but ended up  with 2 carp, a redfin and a small cod.

20230325_132357.jpg

• Like 15

Good to see you back mate, I was wondering where you had been. Nice to read some reports of your ventures into the salt, good anglers don't have much trouble adapting to the different fishing needs. Looking forward to some more reports from both environments. Noticed a lot more Carp about? Plague proportions out here in the western areas.

Cheers, bn

12 hours ago, R E G I C Y C L E said:

Nice report.

We have had a fantastic season for trout. Hopefully the predicted El Nino this year doesn't affect the river systems too much!

Mate I reckon after x2 good spawning years 2023/2024 will still fish well. I just hope the El Nino event isn't a long one.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, big Neil said:

Good to see you back mate, I was wondering where you had been. Nice to read some reports of your ventures into the salt, good anglers don't have much trouble adapting to the different fishing needs. Looking forward to some more reports from both environments. Noticed a lot more Carp about? Plague proportions out here in the western areas.

Cheers, bn

Good to hear from you big Neil. I've never really been away. I just somehow logged myself off so haven't posted anything. I kind of find it hard to write a report on beach fishing as the way I fish is a bit homogenous. As soon as there is enough light to see I chuck a 20g metal out, steady retrieve. Repeat. Upsize to 30g, keep casting, catch a few salmon, enjoy the sunrise, coffee time.

I'm not sure if carp numbers have changed around here. There are more and more reports of carp in Googong which is sad as the dam wall has kept them back for decades. Since my young fella lost interest in fishing I haven't really targeted carp apart from the odd session sight casting small soft plastics on the Bidgee.

If you make up to Canberra maybe PM me and we could soak some corn.

23 hours ago, Ganguddy Goodoo said:

Good to hear from you big Neil. I've never really been away. I just somehow logged myself off so haven't posted anything. I kind of find it hard to write a report on beach fishing as the way I fish is a bit homogenous. As soon as there is enough light to see I chuck a 20g metal out, steady retrieve. Repeat. Upsize to 30g, keep casting, catch a few salmon, enjoy the sunrise, coffee time.

I'm not sure if carp numbers have changed around here. There are more and more reports of carp in Googong which is sad as the dam wall has kept them back for decades. Since my young fella lost interest in fishing I haven't really targeted carp apart from the odd session sight casting small soft plastics on the Bidgee.

If you make up to Canberra maybe PM me and we could soak some corn.

Will do mate, take care and keep fishing. bn

Great to hear you enjoying the Trout and that is a lovely Cod ( but aren't they all lovely).

I have recently moved to the Coast  ( Sussex Inlet) but have not ventured onto the Beach. I do love my rock Blackfishing but haven't found rock fishing spots I am comfortable with.

I will keep looking.

I must give the beach a go this Winter.