Sol lunar charts?

faker

Hi Guys,

So i want to be targeting flathead and bream tomorrow. People say that they are best targeted at run out tide. Tomorrow for instance high tide reaches its max at 8:30am and run out tide happens soon afterwards but sol lunar chart says bite time is at 10:30 am.

Not sure which one is more influential in feeding patterns

• Like 1

Never payed those charts any mind , always liked the last half of the run up for bream as they stack up waiting for the tide to cover the mussel , nipper  beds and oyster so they can get in there for a feed , Flathead also follow the tide in so they can set up for the run out . I would start at dawn and fish the last of the run up and 2/3 of the run out so 6am to around 1pm .

Edited by XD351
  • Like 3

Got to be careful with those charts they can get in your head,  fish will feed at any stage of the tide or solar/lunar cycle of tye opportunity presents itself

Bream in particular feed at all stages of the tide they're always hungry, top end of tide try right up on the edges, as the tide starts to runout they'll move back on the drop offs from the same edges, most of the big bream upriver spend 90% of their time feeding on submerged timber regardless of the tide

• Like 5

This comes up all the time, and my usual answer is "show me a fish with a chart" fish feed when they are hungry, tide infuences how they feed and what on, but, they don't starve to death waiting for some "magic" feeding time! One things certain, you won't catch fish at home on the lounge reading a chart. Get out there when you can, give it your best shot! I have a kind of interesting story that I will post later.

• Like 4

Just to add (and this is very personal) I never target Bream and Flathead together, Bream and maybe Whiting, yes, but........where I Fish, Bream and Flathead are poles apart in technique and gear, both can be caught together, done it lots of times, but in the main, one or the other for me.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

waste of time-just go fishing-tides are far more important and so is light-tide changes and light changes are killing times in nature

Yeah better off fishing from 630am sunrise tomorrow to take advantage of the light change than hold out for the run out tide to start,

I used to pay attention to the solunar charts when I first started but now it seems bogus to be honest. It’s just too far removed from my personal experiences to be useful. Like I’ve fished during bite times for no fish, and fished outside of bite times for heaps, and so can’t trust the chart anymore. It only takes a few donuts during hot bite times to get bitter about the whole concept !!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, faker said:

Hi Guys,

So i want to be targeting flathead and bream tomorrow. People say that they are best targeted at run out tide. Tomorrow for instance high tide reaches its max at 8:30am and run out tide happens soon afterwards but sol lunar chart says bite time is at 10:30 am.

Not sure which one is more influential in feeding patterns

OK I will tell you the charts DO work. or rather the OLD charts are pretty accurate.

They won't tell you when you will or won't catch fish in any particular location they will only predict the times when you will be more likely to catch a feed.

The charts were adapted by the ancient Polynesians and they relied on catching fish to stay alive . They developed the system after generation after generation of fishermen and land based hunters over hundreds perhaps thousands of years.

They work on tides which are controlled by the moon and sun rise and set as well as the most important aspect and that is barometer if the barometric pressure is wrong it will turn fish off eating even in the most favorable prediction times.

Back in the times before computers and such the charts were based on the ancients, since computers the get rich quick business people have programmed the computers to make the prediction and like all things over time slight changes have been made to make the programs more sellable.

It's like any old story that gets passed down through the generations the base of the story gets exaggerated or depleted a little with each version till eventually what you are reading is far away from the original story.

Personally back in the 50's 60's and 70's when I was learning how to catch a feed I used charts and found they helped me a lot. these days I just go fishing whenever I find the time, which is not often these days.

Frank

• Like 4