Trags, Kings and Tuna

Gday Raiders,

Headed out this morning for a fish outside. Conditions were much rougher than predicted with swells over 2m and plenty of wind making it wet and sloppy. Left port hacking and headed up towards maroubra. 
Rough conditions, but drift was good and I knew once it started to warm up the winds would drop. 
Bait was salted strips of Bonito and Mack Tuna. Small baits were catching smaller fish, so I tried using 4 inch strip baits and started bringing up really good sized trags. 4 trags came up - largest 77cm, as well as a morwong, scorpion and a couple of sergeant baker - largest of which went just over 55cm. As I drifted off the reef picked up a 45-50cm flathead. 
trolled back along the cliffs for 4 x Mack tuna, 1 x bonito, and a 50cm rat king. Found a bait ball in Bate Bay on the way back in, and dropped a squid head down on a circle hook, below the baitfish - couple of taps and then the rod bends over - 67cm king comes up perfect for some fresh sashimi to share at work - they’ve been asking as I bring in a couple of plates every time I get kings.

neighbour came out and took home two of the trags as I was cleaning up. 

IMG_1753.thumb.jpeg.7d15ba8ac1f3d3a6c62bd40aacaf9f24.jpegGPTempDownload.thumb.jpeg.461373f7567204a82d4c4425b5eac8d7.jpegGPTempDownload.thumb.jpeg.fa5234b7a40a5674debc211972ac9a97.jpegIMG_1761.thumb.jpeg.2efad329c388426b93914180a79e9925.jpegIMG_1773.thumb.jpeg.0f1d297ea6b34b344de2eca748d675ec.jpeg

• Like 14

20 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Good onya for braving the conditions and coming up with the goods. Plenty of fish for the table right there. Cheers, bn

Thanks Neil! after about 9am, wind and swell dropped and ended up a very nice day. How quickly things can change out there eh.

21 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Another great bag of fish Chris and some excellent eating to come. 

Thanks wazza! I wasn’t a raw fish eater, but kingfish sure leads itself to being prepared this way.
As for the trag - it makes some of the best tasting beer battered fish and chips!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Larkin said:

Thanks Neil! after about 9am, wind and swell dropped and ended up a very nice day. How quickly things can change out there eh.

Thanks wazza! I wasn’t a raw fish eater, but kingfish sure leads itself to being prepared this way.
As for the trag - it makes some of the best tasting beer battered fish and chips!

They sure can change quickly, often not for the better.  bn

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

A really good haul, well done.

👍 Plenty to go round! 

13 hours ago, Rebel said:

Top report.

Great photos.

Well done

👍 turned out a good day

9 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Nice day out, well done. How full is that esky after a day like that?

They barley fit!
I also take a large folded up cooler bag - just in case.

5 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Awesome session Chris! You braved the swell and reaped the rewards!!!

I was regretting it on the way there, but once it started to warm up and settle, turned out to be nice day on the water.

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

Great work there, good sized trags, one kingie, small tuna for future baits. As for the mowie, send it back to annoy someone else.

mowie went back in the drink! Together with his dragon snapper friend!

a few trag about on the deep reefs - got these at 65m, bit of winding up and down though.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kantong said:

what a bag, congrats a solid day out. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks kantong! Sone good fish still out there.

1 hour ago, dlvbw said:

Mate - you have been slaying it lately! Well done.

Thanks dlvbw! The offshore reefs producing.

• Like 1