Port Hacking - a bit quiet

Pumped some nippers yesterday arvo, and headed out this morning.

Drifted the sand flats in Gunnamatta Bay for the whiting, not big at all, and released a few under sized. Also pulled up a little arrow squid that would not let go of the bait, so scooped him out. A bit small for bait, so cut him up and pan fried him with the whiting fillets. A nice feed at that.  The fish on the bite from first light until sun up, then quiet.

Headed to Lilli Pilli flats, and other places, nothing but the odd little reddie. No fish to see swimming about.

Headed to a flattie spot, both duskies caught not even 30cm long, so headed home.

fish.jpeg.394_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 11

Not too sure why, but, I didn't catch one Whiting off Warilla beach this summer, I kind of wonder if it's all the machinery working that has "scared" them off, or if there just wasn't any? There was some nice gutters and stuff, but no Whiting, Tailor and stuff were fine, and lots of Whiting in the Lake, but I failed miserably this year, OH well! By the way, nice catch of Whiting, they are one of my favourite fish to catch, nice to look at, not spiky, easy to clean and great eating.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Larkin said:

Top feed of whiting! 👍

weather’s starting to turn - getting cold and we’ll be heading into winter species. Long sleeves and beanies from now on.

Thank you.

Fishing up river has suddenly turned, unless the fish are in different locations. Fished a regular deep water spot last Monday - 33cm bream, 1 jacket, a jewie about 55cm, and stacks of little reddies, and nothing jumping or splashing about.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, noelm said:

Not too sure why, but, I didn't catch one Whiting off Warilla beach this summer, I kind of wonder if it's all the machinery working that has "scared" them off, or if there just wasn't any? There was some nice gutters and stuff, but no Whiting, Tailor and stuff were fine, and lots of Whiting in the Lake, but I failed miserably this year, OH well! By the way, nice catch of Whiting, they are one of my favourite fish to catch, nice to look at, not spiky, easy to clean and great eating.

Whiting rate at the top of the eating fish.

During the week, I was having a swim at Eloura Beach, and I spoke to an older bloke pulling out beach worms. He had half a dozen. He lives and fishes at Maroubra Beach, but said very few worms over his way. He is still pulling out whiting from the beach, so they must have given your area the big miss.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Whiting rate at the top of the eating fish.

During the week, I was having a swim at Eloura Beach, and I spoke to an older bloke pulling out beach worms. He had half a dozen. He lives and fishes at Maroubra Beach, but said very few worms over his way. He is still pulling out whiting from the beach, so they must have given your area the big miss.

Yeah, I'm not sure, plenty on Windang and Shellharbour (both sides of me) but not Warilla, the only thing is the heavy machinery working everyday on the rock wall, maybe Whiting are "spooky" or it might be just how it is this year?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Thank you.

Fishing up river has suddenly turned, unless the fish are in different locations. Fished a regular deep water spot last Monday - 33cm bream, 1 jacket, a jewie about 55cm, and stacks of little reddies, and nothing jumping or splashing about.

In the bay and around jibbon the large surface bait schools of the past month have gone. There were multiple huge surface yellowtail bait balls 30m across that would sit on the surface all day making the surface shimmer. They weren’t feeding - maybe mating in these very large schools.
Small deep bait balls now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Yeah, I'm not sure, plenty on Windang and Shellharbour (both sides of me) but not Warilla, the only thing is the heavy machinery working everyday on the rock wall, maybe Whiting are "spooky" or it might be just how it is this year?

Hard to say. Regarding noise, I have fished around the dredge in Port Hacking at times, water stirred up with sand, noisy dredge, whiting on the bite.

• Like 2

Good stuff Yowie, it wasn't quiet this morning. Lilli Pilli was firing with plenty of trevally and snapper about. Only stayed for a bit until the rain came but managed a good feed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Isaac Ct said:

Good stuff Yowie, it wasn't quiet this morning. Lilli Pilli was firing with plenty of trevally and snapper about. Only stayed for a bit until the rain came but managed a good feed.

Thank you. A feed is what it is all about. The wind will kill it over the next few days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Better something than nothing.

Well done.

Correct, the crumbed fillets were very nice, along with a small piece of squid. The wife was happy as well, not a fishy flavour like some others.

• Like 1

Nice catch !
I love whiting, I love catching them ( especially off the beach )and I love eating them . Your conversation with the bloke from Malabar answered something I had always wondered - if there were worms there and if there are any fish there . It is only a small beach and I have never really seen any decent gutters there ( on surf watch and when I do a job there every few weeks I always go for a look at the beach ) nor have I ever seen anyone fishing there. I often see some great gutters on wanda, Eloura and Cronulla and must get my butt down there for a fish .

2 hours ago, XD351 said:

Nice catch !
I love whiting, I love catching them ( especially off the beach )and I love eating them . Your conversation with the bloke from Malabar answered something I had always wondered - if there were worms there and if there are any fish there . It is only a small beach and I have never really seen any decent gutters there ( on surf watch and when I do a job there every few weeks I always go for a look at the beach ) nor have I ever seen anyone fishing there. I often see some great gutters on wanda, Eloura and Cronulla and must get my butt down there for a fish .

The old bloke said he lives and fishes there all the time, but heads to the Shire for his worms. Whiting are his main catch at Maroubra.

On 5/11/2023 at 9:07 PM, jenno64 said:

Nice whiting Dave!

it’s all you need for a delish feed 👌

Last year I got them all through winter with lots of colour in the water…. Maybe that’s what we need again!

Thanks Rob. Not big fish but good eating.

A bit of rain to colour the water would help a bit. Some years a few can be caught during winter.