SP and jigging for pelagics

faker

So I bought a new rod Abu Garcia Max X SP40 2P 4-8kg 7' Spin combo and intend to chase some perlegics.

the lure weight is 10-48g

And I was thinking of slabbing some 15lb braid on it and get a 40g jig. But when it came to SP I get a bit confused as although the hooks fit the lure. Doesn't these jighead weight make it look unnatural?

Just want advice  on choosing correct SP for 1/2 to 1 ounce range

20230515_163742.jpg

20230515_163840.jpg

20230515_163830.jpg

Edited by faker

For pelagics any type of sluggos, jerk shads, paddletails and just generally any plastics will work it all just comes down to what time you're fishing, where you're fishing, what type of food source the pelagics are feeding on at the time, "match the hatch" as the fly fishers say. For the jig heads the ones you have may impact the action of the plastics so I would recommend big TT jigheads such as the TT demonZ .Another really important thing is where you work your plastics and metals, as the fish can be feeding on the bottom, middle or on the surface, with surface being the most easily recognisable by bust ups and sea gull action but with the other two you'll have to find it out yourself. About the rod and reel combo, I don't have much expertise so take me lightly but personally I think the rod is a bit short for shorejigging however it should handle plastics and lights jigs.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, AlbertW said:

For pelagics any type of sluggos, jerk shads, paddletails and just generally any plastics will work it all just comes down to what time you're fishing, where you're fishing, what type of food source the pelagics are feeding on at the time, "match the hatch" as the fly fishers say. For the jig heads the ones you have may impact the action of the plastics so I would recommend big TT jigheads such as the TT demonZ .Another really important thing is where you work your plastics and metals, as the fish can be feeding on the bottom, middle or on the surface, with surface being the most easily recognisable by bust ups and sea gull action but with the other two you'll have to find it out yourself. About the rod and reel combo, I don't have much expertise so take me lightly but personally I think the rod is a bit short for shorejigging however it should handle plastics and lights jigs.

Yea i was thinking some micro jigs like below

https://youtu.be/UZ1KTf96fnI

• mrsswordfisherman changed the title to SP and jigging for pelagics
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey mate, those jigheads are too heavy for shore based. 1oz jigheads are used offshore in deep water.

get some TT headlockz jigheads in 3/8oz 5/0 hook for those 5 inch or 7 inch shads if your chasing salmon, kings ect.

If windy day could go to 1/2 oz but I wouldn’t use anything heavier shore based.

• Like 3