Birdie beach - bait collection

Praga

Hi,

I am camping near birdie beach this weekend and planning to do fishing in the beach. Does anyone know if pipis can be found in the beach?

I have no experience in bait collection from beaches. I have seen videos about beach worming but it seems to be difficult. I will give it a go and thinking of collecting pipis if beach worming does not work out.

Any tips about fishing this beach will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Thank you all for the prompt and helpful responses. I appreciate the valuable information and guidance provided. 

I will give it a go this weekend and let you know how it went

Best of luck catching worms after just watching a movie......they are very speedy and difficult to master the art of catching them. Waving rotten Pilchards around is the easy part, and not exactly descriptive! You will need a "bag" to put your bait in, an old stocking is great, if you know someone who wears stockings, or are not too shy to buy some.......put some fish frames/Pilchards in the end of the stocking, get a firm small "hand bait" I like Pippi or Squid. It's way better to have a helper to wave the stocking around while you concentrate on the worms. Go close to low tide, running out, looking for a flat section of beach with nice fine sand. Wave the stocking in the receding waves and look for their heads sticking up, forming a kind of V in the shallow water.....then the fun starts! Be prepared to get wet, miss most worms and be frustrated because the guy in the movie made it look so easy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pippis are pretty simple to catch, just go to the waters edge at low tide and "twist" your feet in the sand until your feet are covered, if there's any there you will feel them, or they will wash around in the waves, try a spot, move a few metres, try again, move a few metres and so on, take note of bag limits and closed zones.

• Thanks 1