Sydney Harbour Squiding

Headed out today to continue work on improving  my squid technique,  as well as to hunt for cuttlefish. @DerekD was fantastic all week offering me great advice. Started out at Shark Island near the lighthouse throwing  2.5 size jigs around in white, natural and orange. No success here. Moved over to Clifton Gardens to hunt for cuttlefish. Again, nothing to report here. It was about now that my confidence was taking a dip. Then moved around to the area from George’s Head to Obelisk Beach, again not a nibble, despite going through my full range of 2.5 sized jigs. One last chance was over to trusty Lady Bay. Well I heard it was a nudist beach, but I’ve never seen anyone here before. Well today was different , surely I could t go home empty handed with nothing other than unwanted images of old naked guys burnt into my mind. After fanning 4 casts with the Bambi colour 2.5 size, I changed over to orange with the zig zag stripe. I was finally on (20cm) - first one in the live well. I moved another 50m away and nothing took the orange. I switched back to the Bambi colour and I was on again (25cm). 2 in the boat. Then a few casts later on again with the Bambi (24cm). With three in the live tank I was keen to get a fourth so the wife and kids all had a green eye  each for dinner.

I tried my luck back at Shark Island again, but nothing to report. Stopped in at Mort Bay on the way home, I was told you can find arrows there. Nothing here.  Good day out, would have loved to have added a few more spots to my collection, but still super happy to have three in the tank and to know that Lady Bay keeps delivering. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

8DFF8842-D37B-4A3F-9D46-0773BBA577BE.jpeg

545FAAC4-E9FE-4347-B419-5E870AFAF57B.jpeg

Edited by Dazza72
Missed Info
  • Like 14

Hi @Dazza72

Glad to hear you got out with your family and a nice result.

Covering ground is generally the trick. I generally find I catch bigger squid in the winter but more in the summer.

Regards,

Derek

32 minutes ago, DerekD said:

Hi @Dazza72

Glad to hear you got out with your family and a nice result.

Covering ground is generally the trick. I generally find I catch bigger squid in the winter but more in the summer.

Regards,

Derek

In addition to covering ground, how important is changing squid lures?

(No disrespect intended to the OP, but I have a so far perfectly unblemished record of having never caught a squid, despite several attempts, so trying to learn as much as possible here.)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kantong said:

thanks for sharing mate and persistence pays off.

Thanks, that helps, will just keep plugging away

1 hour ago, JustJames said:

(No disrespect intended to the OP, but I have a so far perfectly unblemished record of having never caught a squid, despite several attempts, so trying to learn as much as possible here.)

Hi, looking forward to what others say, I know I have a range of whites, naturals and bright colours, that I switch out.  I use a mustard fastach to make changing quickly an easy process. What I don’t know is should cover ground with my chosen colour, or stay put and try a bright, natural and white before moving?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JustJames said:

Hi @JustJames

This is a really good question. I was a little hesitant about replying for fear of ruining your perfect record. Firstly, the standard disclaimer, I don't consider myself an expert (on a side note have you read this article: 

The reason this one is difficult to answer is that it is pretty subjective. I'm of the opinion that if you can get the squid's attention (short sharp movements) and it looks like a prawn and moves like a prawn you have a good chance of encouraging a strike. Having said that squid mad companies like Yamashita or Yo-Zuri have put a lot of research time into their colours and designs. I've got a pamphlet somewhere which recommends which jig colours to use depending on time of day and colour of water. I've also heard too many times that someone changed a jig colour and then started to catch them to discount it entirely.

Coming back to your situation. Where in Sydney are you based? Do you have access to a boat or can you do land based only?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi @JustJames

Coming back to your situation. Where in Sydney are you based? Do you have access to a boat or can you do land based only?

I live in Castle Cove (near Chatswood), and have a boat.  I usually launch at Roseville.

15 minutes ago, JustJames said:

I live in Castle Cove (near Chatswood), and have a boat.  I usually launch at Roseville.

Know the area well. Played golf at the Castle Cove golf club now and then. Lived in Middle Cove for years before moving to Lane Cove. Done a lot of fishing in Sugarloaf bay and that is one of the squid grounds I use when on the boat.

Suggest a meet up at some stage if you don't mind breaking that perfect streak of yours. Won't guarantee a squid but expect we have a very high chance of doing so and can show you the where and how after which it becomes a matter of time.

Can do shore based first.