Beach rod reel recommendations

Renegade460

Broke my old trusty Pfluger Salt tonight so in the market for a new reel.

Reel is going on a Diawa 12ft beach rod 12kg to 20kg.

Running 15kg mono, needs at least 10kg of drag.

Must be a Shimano reel as my son gets them for 50% off at <a large chain store> as a staff discount.

Looking at the following reel, but open to suggestions.

<link removed>

Edited by Little_Flatty
Please do not mention businesses that are not related to FR. See Site Rule #6: https://community.deckee.com/rules/

I do a lot of beach fishing, but I use Penn reels. Miles better than the latest Shimano.

If you are going Shimano, have a look at the Stradic or the twin power.

There are also others in their range.

Shimano don't seem to make reels like they use to ( IMO )

Good luck.

• Like 2

My choice would either be a Stradic SW or a Saragossa, both solidly built and well sealed reels. I have a 4000 Stradic SW and it is a lovely, smooth reel to throw lures with. 

May I ask why you want to fish 15kg mono from the beach? Unless you’re chasing large sharks, it’s really overkill and will cost you valuable casting distance on a spin reel. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

My choice would either be a Stradic SW or a Saragossa, both solidly built and well sealed reels. I have a 4000 Stradic SW and it is a lovely, smooth reel to throw lures with. 

May I ask why you want to fish 15kg mono from the beach? Unless you’re chasing large sharks, it’s really overkill and will cost you valuable casting distance on a spin reel. Just my opinion.

I found that constant beach fishing puts a lot of wear and tear on braid, hence i prefer mono over braid off the bech. Ive also observed a lot of dedicated beach fishos (using bait) using mono 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, slothparade said:

I found that constant beach fishing puts a lot of wear and tear on braid, hence i prefer mono over braid off the bech. Ive also observed a lot of dedicated beach fishos (using bait) using mono 

I get that and use mono myself when bait fishing from a beach, though I personally prefer an Alvey reel for this.  
What I’m asking is why 15kg, when 8 or 10kg will stop most fish, mulloway included, you’ll likely encounter off the sand and be a lot more user friendly?
If large sharks and rays are the target, I understand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

Always fished 15kg off mono off the beach without any problems. Not interested in casting half way to New Zealand. Lots of whalers at times where I fish. 

I will check with my son exactly what discount he gets on the different brands.

• Like 1

@Green Hornet is right. Gone are the days using heavy mono on the beach, unless you are chasing really big fish. You would be better off on the rocks.

I use 6 to 8 kg mono. A good brand mono will catch most fish off the beach using bait or lures.

Cheers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Houdini said:

if you get 50% off Shimano just get Stellas for everything!!

Stellas on the beach? No thanks

i bought a stella years back because of the hype. Used it once and found out it wasnt for me and sold it off.

• Like 1

I do a fair amount of beach fishing for bigger targets, such as big sharks rays and jews. Ive used shorter rods in the past as the leverage on large fish and casting bigs baits is easier, however distance was always a compromise. I also have a few rods in the 12-13ft range, two which are very soft (slow action) and a couple that are stiffer carbon fast action. The fast action tip action rods are very hard to cast big baits with and also very hard to use on big fish.

So recently I bought a storm gomoku 13ft 12-20kg 3 piece rod (blue) as I wanted something more parabolic to make casting easier as well as tackling heavy fish. While these may look a bit off-putting being pearl white, the colour is actually a great advantage after dark with a head torch on its lowest setting. Ive matched this with a new Shimano saragosa 8000 which simply feels awesome to use (also has decent drag without being heavy). There's is plenty of cranking torque from this reel and loaded with 40lb Shimano grappler braid I find this to be a fantastic setup. Im able to load around 50m of mamoi diamond mono under the braid and the same mono as a 15m of topshot above the braid. I like a mono top-shot to give some elasticity in the line when I get big fish close in the surf and also safer to handle when very close to the fish.

If your son works at <a large chain store>, all the above can be punched there.

Apologies, just realised you were only asking about reels.

Edited by Little_Flatty
  • Like 2

On 6/5/2023 at 1:55 PM, xerotao said:

Stellas on the beach? No thanks

i bought a stella years back because of the hype. Used it once and found out it wasnt for me and sold it off.

How many years ago are we talking?

and what's your recommendation then? 

1 hour ago, Houdini said:

How many years ago are we talking?

and what's your recommendation then? 

It was the sw model just before the blacks came out.

these days i use saragosa and spheros in the 8000 and 6000 size when beach fishing for tailors and salmons or the occasional jewie bycatch

if fishing for smaller species like bream and whiting. I use a 4000size reel paired with a 10’6 light surf rod