beach fishing questions

faker

So I know the conventional wisdom is not to go beach fishing during the low tide. In my recent excursion to narrabeen I got literally Smashed by the waves as the tide was rising and there was a lot of white water waist high for each wave coming in making casting even with a beach rod with bait hard into the gutter which is further out.

What would be considered comfortable to beach fish?

1.in terms of swell?

2.hours in during up to and after high tide?

3.as water levels rises due to incoming tide. Do parts of beach previously out of water become gutters?

• Confused 1

There is a million things going on here, first off, what are you fishing for? I personally prefer low tide, but....I only fish for Whiting, very occasionally for Tailor. Big swell is a nightmare, unless you can find a sheltered corner somewhere, so, let us know what you're targeting first and we can go from there.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1

Mate, Avalon & Dee Why are better beaches to fish ( IMO )

I like run out tides.

Every body has there own theory.

If you are game to try the rocks. Narrabeen is ok ,but I prefer Curl Curl up near the swimming pool.

Make sure you wear the right gear if you go rock fishing.

Good luck

1 hour ago, noelm said:

There is a million things going on here, first off, what are you fishing for? I personally prefer low tide, but....I only fish for Whiting, very occasionally for Tailor. Big swell is a nightmare, unless you can find a sheltered corner somewhere, so, let us know what you're targeting first and we can go from there.

Looking for big tailor and salmon. If luck permits I want to catch a jewie

OK, for Tailor I just fish very early morning or late afternoon, regardless of tide, look for a deep gutter with some white water washing into/over it if possible. Depending on the conditions, a full Pilchard on ganged hooks, cast where the white water is will work. If there's a bit of wave action or current, a sinker to suit will be used, the rig can be a couple of ways, a Paternoster (not my favourite but one of my mates uses it) or a running sinker to a swivel, my rig is a sinker between two swivels if I am targeting Tailor.

• Like 1

Sometimes the size of the swell dictates the phase of tide you can fish especially if there is a gutter running along the beach as the outer sandbar can take a bit of the sting out of the swell on the lower tide phase , at high tide the water is deep enough for the wave to roll right in to the beach but at low tide it will break on the outer bar and all you get is some white water in the gutter and a much smaller shore break .

• Like 1