Going fishing at Merrits Wharf.

Hoppo

Once again, fishing from a wharf (my favoured place of fishing). Looking for tips in terms of rigging, bait, fish I can catch there, the usual. Help will be appreciated, and thanks for your tips on Patonga, I will take them in mind next time I come.

• Like 1

One thing to take note of is more often than not the wharf is the only structure there and like with patonga you have the wharf and the moorings and that is it so don’t forget the fish can be right under you and not where you are casting out to - you could be casting out to a fish less desert . A prawn or half pillie rigged with a sinker running down onto the hook will allow you to Bob or teabag the bait straight up and down next to the wharf and all around it  - seen plenty of good fish caught this way. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Try fishing your bait drifting down along the pylons with a light weight ( small sinker or a couple of split shot). Good baits are small crabs, shrimps or smallish chunks of fish. Lots of species will take these baits. bn

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 10:52 AM, XD351 said:

One thing to take note of is more often than not the wharf is the only structure there and like with patonga you have the wharf and the moorings and that is it so don’t forget the fish can be right under you and not where you are casting out to - you could be casting out to a fish less desert . A prawn or half pillie rigged with a sinker running down onto the hook will allow you to Bob or teabag the bait straight up and down next to the wharf and all around it  - seen plenty of good fish caught this way. 

Very important that the phrase "teabag the bait" should be acknowledged!

Very well done.

• Like 2