Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out early this arvo with my mate in his boat. We had a drop on a deep reef for nothing, then moved to spot X. Only a few undersized blue spots and tigers. Plenty of whales cruising past.

I suggested a move further south to near Little Marley. Wall to wall spikies, but we found the blue spots in the deeper water in a small patch, then no bites at all. We moved to near the bombie and anchored to the north of it just before sundown.

Quiet there, apart from the bonnies, and some slimies. The slimies as big as the bonnies. When I hooked up a large port jackson shark, it was time to head home.

Biggest flattie at 50cm, biggest bonnie at 44cm.

fish.jpeg.401_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 13

3 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Nicely done Dave. A couple of feeds there 👍

cheers Zoran 

Thanks Zoran, better than sitting at home. Organisng the cleaning and sale of mum's home is non stop, needed a break.

1 hour ago, Larkin said:

Nice Feed of flatties mate!

Good to hear some slimies are about - can’t wait for them to arrive around there in numbers soon. I’m about due for a bait run. 

Flatties hard to find.

Mate dropped a big slimey as he was lifting it into the boat, the size of the 44cm bonnie, and fought just as hard.

The slimeys were on the bite into near full darkness, then just disappeared, along with the yakkas. Something may have scared them off, maybe sammy the seal. A few of them swimming about lately.

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Looks like you're back in your element again, coming up with a few nice meals. Well done, bn

Thanks b.n., happy to be out.

28 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Top haul again.

Well done.

Thank you.

Nice work Dave, fillets for you both and nice conditions for the arvo! Bonnies on bait or lures?  I saw plenty of whales going past today when we walked to Cape Bailey lighthouse, its been a big year for them!

3 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work Dave, fillets for you both and nice conditions for the arvo! Bonnies on bait or lures?  I saw plenty of whales going past today when we walked to Cape Bailey lighthouse, its been a big year for them!

Some fillets each. The bonnies on bait, though the first one grabbed a hook that felt like it was baited as I retrieved.

Swell up a bit today off Elouera Beach. Jumped in for a body surf after midday, water is cold, numbed off for a minute or so, but just kept moving about and caught a few good waves for half an hour.

Funny looks from some people, walking along the path in board shorts, these people wearing jumpers, jackets, long pants. 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Some fillets each. The bonnies on bait, though the first one grabbed a hook that felt like it was baited as I retrieved.

Swell up a bit today off Elouera Beach. Jumped in for a body surf after midday, water is cold, numbed off for a minute or so, but just kept moving about and caught a few good waves for half an hour.

Funny looks from some people, walking along the path in board shorts, these people wearing jumpers, jackets, long pants. 🤣

Saw and admired a couple of body bashers at north Cronulla today…i he’s d the water temp was around 16 degrees 🥶

20 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Saw and admired a couple of body bashers at north Cronulla today…i he’s d the water temp was around 16 degrees 🥶

It was cool, had to look to see if anything was hiding in the board shorts. Not much to see. :074:

Just a matter of "keep moving or freeze", however, it was a good session with some good waves.