Old stuff

Yowie

Back in my youth money  was in pounds shillings and pence .

In 1966 when dollars and cents came to be, was the start of inflation in a big way.

Prior to decimal money you could get 12 penny lollies for 1 shilling. On the 14th Feb 1966 this straight away became only 10 1cent lollies for 10 cents so automatically there was 2 in 12 

lollies lost. and this went way beyond lollies . Everything became automatically more expensive, and things started to become a smaller proportion then in the old money days.

Who can remember Wagon wheels when they first came out ? how big were they ? how big are they now, but you still pay more for them.

I could go on forever but it would just upset me.

Frank

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Yowie said:

Pass on the malt flavouring.

Yes, I remember watching all that happening.

Kids these days would not know how life was for us old farts. 🤣  And, as for pulling a paper trolley around the streets to earn pocket money!!!  No problems then with drugs, knives, gang fights (well, maybe the surfies and rockers)

Eastern Subs we had the Paddo Sharps. I had mates in both sharpies and surfies groups :) 
My first job was in a milk bar in Coogee Bay Rd near my primary school. The owner used to make me wash out the disposable milkshake containers and use for the next customer. We also had the metal ones of course. 
My best friend's mum and dad had a delicatessen/general store and out the back they had big metal boxes full of Arnott's biscuits, like the pic below. We would run in there, grab a handful each of the different types, put them in a brown paper bag and try to escape without being caught!

box.jpeg

• Like 7

Funny, in primary school (Shellharbour public) there was a small “corner store” across the road, you could go any buy broken biscuits and “speck” fruit, biscuits were about 2p a bag (way less than 5c) assorted broken biscuits, and spec fruit (anything that had a bruise or blemish of some kind) were the same for a bag of two or three pieces of fruit. Times sure have changed.

• Like 4

I just want to ad to the above.

We had a corner store & if you were a regular customer you would buy a bag of broken biscuits for 1p & a bag of lollies for 3p.

Saturday afternoons you could go to the movies for 5p.

I would go shopping for my Mother to the local butcher with my pet dog beside me.

Take him into the butcher's shop,no problem. The butcher would give him a large bone free.  These days dogs are banned from shops & if you want a dog bone you have to pay for it.

Cheers.

• Like 5

While we are strolling down memory lane…….I posted this before, but, many years ago, long before everything was open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, there used to be a self serve petrol station in Wollongong, it took 20c pieces only (no credit cards back then). In our late teens, none of us had money, no one had a decent car, and we would all search for 20c pieces to put petrol in the car to “cruise town” we used to drain all the fuel hoses into a container, that added about 250mil of extra petrol, added to the 60c or so we could scrounge up between us, that would give us plenty to do a few laps and possibly get home…..

• Like 3
  • Haha 3