Old stuff

Yowie

I was cleaning out my mother's boatshed, and found a number of older items.

Included is a small esky of sinkers (well, not too light in weight) including some helmet sinkers (have not seen those for some time).

Also found were 2 bakelite tackle boxes (with a screw-on lid) labelled with Alvey. A couple of barely used Wonder Wobblers inside, plus other rusty lures and hooks.

fish.jpeg.404_files_files_files.jpg

fish.jpeg.405_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 13

Great find and certainly brings back memories for me. I had a couple of those Alvey tackle boxes which have long gone and I think I could find some of those Helmet but I called them Bell sinkers still kicking around at the back of the cupboard.

Great nostalgia find.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Good find Dave- the Alvey boxes are always popular with collectors, the Wonder Wobblers no doubt still good for a cast and enough big sinkers to last for ages. Always like seeing old finds

I had forgotten about them, until they re-surfaced. Mum bought the property in 1985, so the boxes have been there since close to that time.

17 hours ago, Fab1 said:

That’s a barn find.Well a boat shed find.

Old lines, hand casters, rusty lures, good lures.

14 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Great find and certainly brings back memories for me. I had a couple of those Alvey tackle boxes which have long gone and I think I could find some of those Helmet but I called them Bell sinkers still kicking around at the back of the cupboard.

Great nostalgia find.

Amazing what gets put away and left there for a long time. Never used the helmet sinkers.

13 hours ago, frankS said:

Great find, do the Alvey tackle boxes still have the divider inserts in them ?.

You should come to my place and see what you can find laying around in my sheds.

Frank

One has the divider inserts with the internal tray, used for hooks and sinkers. The other has no tray, and I chipped out the dividers to make room for the lures. Easier to carry spare gear that way in my earlier days.

11 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great old Memoies.

Certainly are.

• Like 3

Always great to find some old treasures Yowie. For me the recall of amazing times, once had, is the biggest buzz. How things come flashing back and the depth of memory we have stored in the old grey matter is not far short of miraculous. Keep digging.

bn

• Like 3

A few years ago, I found a knife I bought from a local Barber shop (most Barbers were also a “sports store”) I remember it was the only knife I actually bought myself. I used to sell old newspapers to the local chip shop, a full bike trailer of newspapers was 5/- (50 cents) plus some chips. I saved for weeks to buy it. I had no idea it was still around until I was fossicking around looking for something and found it in an old wooden home made box. It’s well over 50 years old, still has most of the handle (that was some kind of plastic/resin material) and the blade is not rusty.

2 hours ago, noelm said:

A few years ago, I found a knife I bought from a local Barber shop (most Barbers were also a “sports store”) I remember it was the only knife I actually bought myself. I used to sell old newspapers to the local chip shop, a full bike trailer of newspapers was 5/- (50 cents) plus some chips. I saved for weeks to buy it. I had no idea it was still around until I was fossicking around looking for something and found it in an old wooden home made box. It’s well over 50 years old, still has most of the handle (that was some kind of plastic/resin material) and the blade is not rusty.

In that lot of old tackle, I found an old filleting knife. Originally the blade was more than 10cm wide, it is now 4mm wide with part of the end broken off. It was getting too thin to fillet properly, and just snapped doing that.

Some good quality products in the early days of our lives.

During my early high school days after school finished, I towed the paper trolley around the streets for some pocket money, was happy with a few cents tip here and there.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Yowie said:

In that lot of old tackle, I found an old filleting knife. Originally the blade was more than 10cm wide, it is now 4mm wide with part of the end broken off. It was getting too thin to fillet properly, and just snapped doing that.

Some good quality products in the early days of our lives.

During my early high school days after school finished, I towed the paper trolley around the streets for some pocket money, was happy with a few cents tip here and there.

I remember being really disappointed when papers went up from 8c to 10c and tips all but vanished. Used to get 80c for doing the near 3 hour paper run and many of the paper boys quit. The newsagent had to up the pay to $1 for the run before anyone would take the jobs after that. You used to get 10c for returning the largest glass Coke bottle around the same time!

Be interested to see any other photo's of the old stuff- the last "Old Things" post a couple of years ago ended up being one of the longest posts ever

• Like 4

3 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

I remember being really disappointed when papers went up from 8c to 10c and tips all but vanished. Used to get 80c for doing the near 3 hour paper run and many of the paper boys quit. The newsagent had to up the pay to $1 for the run before anyone would take the jobs after that. You used to get 10c for returning the largest glass Coke bottle around the same time!

Be interested to see any other photo's of the old stuff- the last "Old Things" post a couple of years ago ended up being one of the longest posts ever

Hi Waza. I reckon you could post some "old stuff", one a day complete with a story, and not repeat yourself for years. Would be an interesting topic, to be sure. bn

• Like 4

6 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Another old paper boy over here!  My run was a couple of dozen shops then wait at a bus stop near the local church for ppl driving home. There were a lot of regulars!  
I’ll never forget the bloke who would ask me, every day, for ‘A star and two bits of glass’. What he did with 3 newspapers I’ll never know, probably should have asked him.

stu.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Burger said:

Another old paper boy over here!  My run was a couple of dozen shops then wait at a bus stop near the local church for ppl driving home. There were a lot of regulars!  
I’ll never forget the bloke who would ask me, every day, for ‘A star and two bits of glass’. What he did with 3 newspapers I’ll never know, probably should have asked him.

stu.

Maybe he was one of my suppliers of old newspapers?? I used to get papers from the local newsagent (paper shop back then) and a few neighbours, I would fill my bike trailer, tow it the the chip shop and collect my cash, and bag of chips with vinegar….ride to the beach, dig a hole in the chip paper and eat the hot vinegar chips……..they were the days. I also had a weekly pamphlet delivery run around my area, trailer full of glossy “special” papers.

• Like 5

@noelm We often use to stop at Warilla or Windang for fish and chips when traveling to Sydney and my dad always said they tasted better when wrapped in the Herald because they used better ink.

@wazatherfisherman I remember the refund on the coke bottles well. A mate and I used to climb the fence into local shop’s back yard, pinch a couple of empties out of the crates and cash them in for an ice block from the same store. Never got caught haha.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I was a paper boy. We lived at Ryde in those days & the local Newspaper shop gave me a job selling papers of a morning before I went to school. It was at the cnr. of Blaxland & Devlin two main roads & busy way back then.

I talked the owner into giving me a afternoon run, Nth. of the Ryde bridge outside the old Coca Cola factory. It turned into a gold mine. People would come off the bridge & stop & buy papers & magazines. When I left school at 15 I was offered a job with a company & they wanted to pay me less than I was earning with my paper runs.

For those who follow Motor Racing the News agency was owned by Bill Brown's Grandfather. Bill was the driver who rolled his Falcon GTHO on the fence at the 1971 Bathurst 1000

The good old days.

Cheers.

• Like 7

Remember buying a milkshake? The milk was in a big refrigerated kind of drum, with square flip up lids,  the shop keeper would scoop out a ladle of milk, add flavouring, then malt if you were “rich” that day, then foam it up on a mixer and serve it in an icy cold metal container…..yummm, can taste one now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

@noelm We often use to stop at Warilla or Windang for fish and chips when traveling to Sydney and my dad always said they tasted better when wrapped in the Herald because they used better ink.

@wazatherfisherman I remember the refund on the coke bottles well. A mate and I used to climb the fence into local shop’s back yard, pinch a couple of empties out of the crates and cash them in for an ice block from the same store. Never got caught haha.

Way back there used to be a “shed” on the side on the road, just south of Windang Bridge that sold great fish and chips, it was there until I was about 15 or so years old. No idea what happened to it, I guess some kind of regulations made it difficult or something. And in Windang itself was another good shop, just opposite the pub, it only recently closed, multi lanes and no stopping kind of finished it off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, noelm said:

Remember buying a milkshake? The milk was in a big refrigerated kind of drum, with square flip up lids,  the shop keeper would scoop out a ladle of milk, add flavouring, then malt if you were “rich” that day, then foam it up on a mixer and serve it in an icy cold metal container…..yummm, can taste one now.

Now that does bring back memories. Caramel malted Milkshake was my choice back then.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Well, that's right. You needed to sell the papers for a bit less than the silver 5 and 10 cent coins so you could receive a tip. At 10 cents there was bugger all tips.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Now that does bring back memories. Caramel malted Milkshake was my choice back then.

Strawberry milkshakes for me.

My fishing mate and I, born one month apart and still fishing together now, used to get driven to the shops at Miranda by his dad, in his 1948? black Austin, the one with the front doors opening forward, for an icecream each. A cone with a big scoop of vanilla icecream and rolled in hundreds and thousands. Threepence per cone. 😋

• Like 1

7 hours ago, noelm said:

Pass on the malt flavouring.

Yes, I remember watching all that happening.

Kids these days would not know how life was for us old farts. 🤣  And, as for pulling a paper trolley around the streets to earn pocket money!!!  No problems then with drugs, knives, gang fights (well, maybe the surfies and rockers)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Burger said:

stu.

The idea in my day was to race out of school to the newsagent, be the first one there, and you would be given the run into the Electricity factory (County Council in those days), where you would sell many papers. After that, back to the newsagent to start your normal run.

• Like 2

Well I was never a paper boy as such. I did however gather newspapers and sell to a couple of shops in Enfield where I grew up.
I also collected horse manure from the ice man and milk man, bag it up and sell to those with gardens.
My main source of pocket money came from mowing lawns, My elder brother bought a new Victa 18 " petrol lawn mower and I would borrow it
while he was at work and go around the streets and mow people's lawns. It became a good income.
My local fish and chips shop (who I sold papers to) gave me a casual job on a Friday morning, before school I would go there and peel and cut
potatoes and soak them in the bath tub. I would then sit and watch the owner cook the chips in the large vats and when he nodded I would go to the
tub full of soaking chips and with a square metal bucket about 20 ltrs size with holes drilled into it (similar to a berley bucket) and scoop out
the chips and take it to him to be cooked (had 2 of these buckets and one would be draining of water while the other was cooking) .
He always gave me a bag of chips to eat on my way home. Then after the shop closed on Friday night I would go there and clean the fat vats and 
all the display counters etc mop the floor and make the place spick and span.
I would also collect bottles.
My uncle had a place in Croyden Park and he turned it into a Beer bottle collection depot. there were hundreds of crates of beer bottles and other
type of bottles all in crates that held 12 bottles each.
I remember when the truck used to come and collect the crates that the wooden tray of the truck had a slight V going toward the center of the tray
so that when the crates were stacked up 4/5 high they would lean towards each other and they were very stable. Never seen this since on any truck.
The driver would also strap the crates down but the slight lean towards the center stopped the crates from falling off.

• Like 6