A couple of drummers off the rocks

EnOz43

1st time post as far as fishing reports go.

I hit Harbord rocks early this morning with my mate. We were there before the first light and the swell was low (about 1m). Target fish was drummer. After berleying up with a mixture of bread, prawn pellets and sea cabbage I baited up with a piece of prawn and cast out. It was still dark and I couldn’t even see my float.

Within a minute I felt a pull on my line. I lifted my rod and felt weight at the end of my line. I was on. After a short tussle I managed to get him up to the surface and my mate netted a chunky drummer for me. He went 38cm.

The next couple of hours were pretty quiet without a nibble. I was using sea cabbage to avoid pickers. Suddenly my float went under…I lifted the rod and felt some weight and then the tell-tale surge of the drummer tail told me I was on. After a short but a spirited fight another drummer was in the net. This one went 35cm.

After this I caught a Rock Cale which was released. My mate managed to catch a few yakkas on prawns.  

By 9.30AM we decided to call it quits and head home. All in all, it was a fun day. Never get tired of catching drummer on light tackle.

I was fishing with my 1-530 ISO rod (size 1, 5.30m long) and a Daiwa Cygnus 3000H LBD (Lever Brake) Reel with 2.5PE main line and 2.5PE (10lb) leader, an ISO float and size 6 Gamakatsu Pan Fish Green Hooks.

PXL_20230715_230841099.jpg

• Like 15

An excellent first fishing report. You described the tackle, location, bait, and the actual bite and fight with great detail. Trust you will enjoy eating them. Those green Gamakatsu hooks are great I reckon. Have used the size 8 for Luderick fishing and they perform well.

Keep up the good work, bn

• Like 2

On 7/17/2023 at 6:40 AM, big Neil said:

Those green Gamakatsu hooks are great I reckon. Have used the size 8 for Luderick fishing and they perform well.

Keep up the good work, bn

Thanks BN. Yeah, those hooks in size 8 and 6 are the best for Drummer and Luderick.