Rosie the retriever Part 1 (July 2023)

Pickles

Following Donna’s suggestion, I’m posting some info on my Labrador Retriever “Rosie”.

I compete in “simulated hunting trials” that are open to all breeds of gun dogs. These are called Non Slip Retrieving Trials (NSRT) and test a retrievers ability to mark or find game. The”game” used are mostly Pigeons and rabbits (feral, introduced species). These are euthanised and then placed in the bush flung out of a “bird thrower” and fired at with a primer that makes a “bang” similar to a cap gun. If the judge chooses the bird is thrown, the dog must “mark” where the bird / game falls and find it. If it is a “blind” the handler talks to the dog to set its head in the direction of the bird and “sends” it back on a line to the bird. At no time can the handler touch the dog and every command after the initial send will result in lost marks.

It sounds easy, but birds are thrown anything upto 200 meters and in heavy cover, dams, flowing water and even to land off the ground (stumps or trees). In the top level (where we are competing now) there are three birds in each leg and there are 3 legs, so 9 birds in total to be found and retrieved and “gently delivered to hand unmarked and fit for the table”.

There is lots on YouTube with footage of retrieving trials (mostly American). Trials are held in each state and there can be anything up to 100 or so dogs competing any weekend in winter. All competing dogs must be tested in water and a swim can be 70-100 m (there and then back again).

Rosie and I train on average an hour a day, every day irrespective of the weather. It is cold in winter, but Labs will break thin ice on dams to get the bird - it really flicks their switches as they are instinctive hunters and love to please their owners.

below are a few picks of Rosie and I. I should add that she also loves to come fishing with me and helps out on the farm - pic of her feeding lambs.

IMG_0854.jpeg

IMG_7257.jpeg

IMG_8459.jpeg

IMG_8248.jpeg

IMG_0846.jpeg

• Like 12

She's a fantastic dog Bob and you certainly put her to the test when you are training her. I have witnessed her working, during your training sessions and can vouch for how much she loves the challenges that you set for her. Good luck with your continuing training regime and I hope that you and Rosie move further up the National Table. Love the photo of her feeding the lamb, amazing...

Cheers, bn

• Like 1

Cheers Neil. We were at a trial in Hartley on the weekend and a shared meal (everyone bought something) and a “southerner” bought some Murray Cod - first time I’ve every eaten it and I have to say I was really impressed (maybe a little oily, but sweet and tender). 

• Like 1

Great story and a great dog you have there Bob.

PS Don’t tell her she’s a dog as she won’t believe you.

Bob patting Rosie “Good dog Rosie”

Rosie looking up at Bob “Dog, where’s the the dog, I like them, can we get a dog Bob”

Edited by Blackfish
  • Haha 5