Another project boat

frankS

Hi all. Hope I don't bore anyone with this topic but here we go.

I bought yet another boat to go with my fleet. This one will live in my 2nd home down Bermagui way, Cobargo to be precise.

It is a Pride Gazelle 18 foot open runabout with a bow rider size anchor well and a 140hp Johnson outboard sitting on a marlin 4 wheel trailer.

Filthy dirty at the moment but this is how it is at the moment.

pride1.JPG.9b5687091f3659fd4c9c0834b38774ed.JPG

pride2.JPG.69de76ce14ec7b930f8f074094218072.JPG

pride5.JPG.ddf83a17a3687e26a3f98b333a401d94.JPG

The trailer had disc brakes with no pads in the calipers so have ordered new discs,calipers,and pads . Boat didn't have bilge pump so 1100gph pump ordered, 

I will remove drivers back to back seat as it is very awkward to stand up and steer, I will replace with this on pedestal 

seat1.thumb.jpg.bc6c86d4ca03eced5ca5bb379b7027fa.jpg

Well that's it for now, I will add more as I progress. Lot's to be done and really don't know where to start. The wiring will all be removed and new wiring done throughout boat. Transducer will be fitted to Starboard side of transom and the 9" Lowrance sounder/gps will be fitted.

Frank

• Like 10

Always good to see boat “stuff” I finally got my cat on the new trailer I built, I have new seats and all sorts of things to do, but at the moment I have Gout in my knee! Anyone who has had Gout will know how debilitating it can be! Hope to see more progress pictures as you go along. Those old 2L V4 140HP Johnson/Evinrudes were torque monsters, very good motor, they do like a drink……..had a pair of them on my cat at one time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I made up a seat base which holds 3 x double plastic tackle boxes and a basket at the bottom to hold leaders spare line etc and put my new seat on it

pride16.thumb.jpg.4218edc16864abef13443db966c970e2.jpg

pride17.thumb.jpg.291c1dee2bfc92ce16d7574549ec24ee.jpg

I managed to buy 2x 21/2 kg and 2x 1 1/2 kg fire extinguishers from an auction very cheap so used 1 x 2 1/2 one here.

pride18.thumb.jpg.6f2a1c70bd167512b6360caac87aeadd.jpg

More to follow as I do things

Frank

• Like 6

Next job will be fitting new lights to the trailer, I have fitted new hubs,discs,calipers and pads. Taking it for it's blue slip on Friday.

Need to modify the bait board to fit this boat, fit new rod holders etc.

Updates to follow.

Frank

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, antonywardle said:

how was the blue slip Frank?

Had to get 4 new tyres as 2 of the tyres had slight sidewall cracking. Overwise passed with flying colours.

New hubs/discs/calipers and pads new submersible lights ( not fitted yet ) blue slipped with light board.

Frank

• Like 2

Good onya Frank. You amaze me with how keen you are to keep doing things up...Amazing! You are a very clever and skilled person who can turn a hand to doing a multitude of things.

Looking forward to seeing how this project pans out. Cheers mate and hi to Val.

bn

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

Good onya Frank. You amaze me with how keen you are to keep doing things up...Amazing! You are a very clever and skilled person who can turn a hand to doing a multitude of things.

Looking forward to seeing how this project pans out. Cheers mate and hi to Val.

bn

Neil. As you know I don't do anything in a hurry, my limited mobility takes me a lot longer these days to get anything done.

There is quiet a lot that needs to be done to this boat to get it to the condition that I want it, full wiring job as the people that owned it before me had the idea that 2 wires wrapped around each other and wrapped in tape was good enough. Steel screws nuts and bolts all over the place, some need grinding off. silly plastic rod holders on all sorts of different angles, nothing looks uniform. Another thing the boat is over at a mate's place in Guildford and I have to go over there to do anything to it.

I estimate 3-4 weeks work left on it and then I will be taking it down to Bermagui and leaving it there so I will have a boat down there and won't have to tow the thing down every time I want to go down there for a fish.

When I take it down Sometime, I would love for you to drive down there, and I could take you out fishing for a few days. Free accommodation and 3-4 days catching good quality fish, you could fill your freezer. It's a bit of a drive but I'm sure you would enjoy yourself. And no pressure you could stay as long or as short a time as you like.

Frank

• Like 4

6 hours ago, frankS said:

Neil. As you know I don't do anything in a hurry, my limited mobility takes me a lot longer these days to get anything done.

There is quiet a lot that needs to be done to this boat to get it to the condition that I want it, full wiring job as the people that owned it before me had the idea that 2 wires wrapped around each other and wrapped in tape was good enough. Steel screws nuts and bolts all over the place, some need grinding off. silly plastic rod holders on all sorts of different angles, nothing looks uniform. Another thing the boat is over at a mate's place in Guildford and I have to go over there to do anything to it.

I estimate 3-4 weeks work left on it and then I will be taking it down to Bermagui and leaving it there so I will have a boat down there and won't have to tow the thing down every time I want to go down there for a fish.

When I take it down Sometime, I would love for you to drive down there, and I could take you out fishing for a few days. Free accommodation and 3-4 days catching good quality fish, you could fill your freezer. It's a bit of a drive but I'm sure you would enjoy yourself. And no pressure you could stay as long or as short a time as you like.

Frank

I know how much of a perfectionist you are with your fix-ups Frank. Your creative ideas are great and you always figure out a way to do the job.

I have never fished from Bermagui, always Narooma. As you know it has one of the worst bar crossings on the East Coast. A mate at bowls has a brother in Bermagui and whenever they catch up he ends up with stacks of quality fish, so I know its reputation. 

If you let me know that you are heading down there this Summer, I'll drive down there. It's 7 hrs from here via the Summer route (Snowy Mountain Hwy). Let's do it.

Good luck with the fix-up Frank.   bn

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Hoods said:

Love the rod holders Frank. Can I send you some pics of my Haines 17R for some ideas??!!

Hoods. Always keen to see photos of any boat and chances are I may be able to give you some ideas.

My email fastrailers@optusnet.com.au send some photos and give me some idea as to what you want to do.

Frank

• Like 1

As I mentioned before, the previous owners were not particularly keen on doing things to suit a salt water enviroment with mild steel nuts and bolts everywhere.

The trailer is fitted with 4 x clearance lights one on each guard. The red is facing forward with the white/clear facing rearward. and of course the steel screws that hold them on are all rusted up.

This project may take a little longer than first thought.

I haven't even started the engine as yet, just going by the video that it runs. If it turns out to be a dud I will be taking the 90hp Etec off my Savage Lancer and throwing it on as my funds have dried up. I know this will make the boat somewhat slower but I am not a speed demon on the water. The ETec has only 180 hours on it, I would service it before installing as it has been sitting around without use for about 5 years.

Frank

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Unfortunately this project remains just as it was back in September. I have not laid a finger on it since.

Due to my failing health and extremely hot weather conditions I have not been able to do any work on this project, the boat is at my mates place in Guildford and I live in Berala and every time I make the effort to go over to do something to the boat the weather is so hot I just can't breath so I just look at it for 10 minutes and come home again.

Maybe once it cools down a bit I may be able to do some more work to it, just hope it doesn't get too darn cold before I can get something done.

Frank