Sydney Boat Show

antonywardle

6 hours ago, onearmedfisho said:

On another note how does one expect to buy a boat and take it home with you from the show??? Trailer needs to be registered and how would you think you could get your car in to tow it home 🤣🤣🤣

How do you think they get them to the show ? I think the way it worked was you sign up the finance at the show and they would deliver it when taking it back to the yard or you picked it up on the day after the show finished . I don’t think they stopped everything so they could get your boat out on the day you purchase it. Their was probably an ex display model used for the show so it would have a bigger discount than one from the yard .

On 8/2/2023 at 8:27 AM, DerekD said:

What is this about only being able to buy tickets online?? Just found out that they are not selling tickets on the day at the box office. I would have been extremely p1$$ed off if I'd rocked up as usual and tried to pay at the door. Now think I'm going to skip it this year.

image.thumb.png.224bdac3ffca48e6dc454e76dd375484.png

The last time I was at the boat show door there were two kiosks, and each had a queue of well over 50 people. I was glad I had pre purchased my tickets and walked straight in. 
You know there is nothing stopping you buying a ticket at the door … online on your phone … and you won’t even have to stand in a queue!

cheers Z

Hi all

went tot he show. I enjoyed it. There wasn't a lot for me, but maybe the nice day and being with a couple of mates I'd not seen for ages made it a bit nicer. I liked the look of the Surtees out the front and I got to see the BRP Rotax engine. One of the guys I was with bought a Hobie. There was only only stand with tackle and mostly it wasn't much different to what you might see at one of the local franchises.

I spent a bit of time going between dealers getting pricing for a 4 stroke repower. The prices seem similar across the board, I just need to decide on the brand. I enjoyed looking at all the boats, but was surprised how far out I was in price guessing. One of the Stabi's I guessed at $280K but it was in the $400K price range which really puts it in the massively impossible bracket.

Anyway, it was nice day out. I ended up with an $8 pie, because I went to the pub on the other side of the harbor and there was an hour wait.

Go for for a day out and you'll probably have a nice time!

PXL_20230802_234203904_MP.jpg.c6dc31ecff86e1deccba6326fbfd7363.jpgPXL_20230803_002840832.thumb.jpg.8b468057d16110104b11f44948bc9a2b.jpg 

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

You know there is nothing stopping you buying a ticket at the door … online on your phone … and you won’t even have to stand in a queue!

cheers Z

Actually there is... I use a Nokia phone for the majority of my calls (it is compact, battery life is great (think I last charged it back in 2022) and almost indestructible as I drop my phone usually once every 3 to 6 weeks). My smart phone has been known to sit out of use for over a year at a time. In fact I only started to use it for check ins during Covid.

Yes it is a computer in your pocket but I like technology to make my life better not to stress me out as my smart phone seems to do.

Unfortunately with the 3G network closing at the end of the year I don't have much of a choice.

PS. I'm also someone that would rather deal with a cashier at the shops or McDonalds. It is often faster and I like the human contact and banter, it keeps a person employed and if there is an issue they can resolve it on the spot. On occasions I've had to call for assistance multiple times (3 times is my record) at the self checkout because the weighing machine had an issue with what was being put down after being scanned in. I also use cash as often as not as I get annoyed with the additional fees that slip in when using a credit or debit card. Not that I can't afford it but the extra expense after you have a agreed to a price irritates me for some reason.

Edited by DerekD

8 hours ago, DerekD said:

Actually there is... I use a Nokia phone for the majority of my calls (it is compact, battery life is great (think I last charged it back in 2022) and almost indestructible as I drop my phone usually once every 3 to 6 weeks). My smart phone has been known to sit out of use for over a year at a time. In fact I only started to use it for check ins during Covid.

Yes it is a computer in your pocket but I like technology to make my life better not to stress me out as my smart phone seems to do.

Unfortunately with the 3G network closing at the end of the year I don't have much of a choice.

PS. I'm also someone that would rather deal with a cashier at the shops or McDonalds. It is often faster and I like the human contact and banter, it keeps a person employed and if there is an issue they can resolve it on the spot. On occasions I've had to call for assistance multiple times (3 times is my record) at the self checkout because the weighing machine had an issue with what was being put down after being scanned in. I also use cash as often as not as I get annoyed with the additional fees that slip in when using a credit or debit card. Not that I can't afford it but the extra expense after you have a agreed to a price irritates me for some reason.

All good Derek, I understand your position if that's how you feel. BTW, I too despise the fast food kiosks especially when I all want to buy from them is a double shot espresso ..  seriously the kiosk is programmed to provide you the most convoluted path through their entire menu ... banking on the logic that "surely you don't want JUST a coffee" and you may just buy something else if we show you everything and ask you to decline each item -  NOPE - two screens of that and I'm outa there ... drove to the next town !!!

But as much as smartphones are a two edged sword, their use is pervasive, from banking, public transport, to staying in touch with my remote family  ... I've just accepted smartphones are here to stay. Also from a boating perspective, there's DECKEE, the weather apps, and then onboard the boat - Navionics which is my fall back navigation tool, and even with all the Garmin/Fusion stuff -  the only way to activate and update all the new electronics in my boat is via the ActiveCaptain smartphone app connected to the boat's wifi.  No smartphone - no smart boating !

BTW, I had a great day at the show today - just got back. My regular crew Maria was busy post our Melbourne trip, so Wayno was happy to fill the last minute vacancy. Lots of rigs and gear to cast eyes over, apart from the gawk factor of the floating displays at the marina the rest of the show is all on one level this year so it was easier to do a few loops and revisit stands. I also got to meet Mike (DECKEE) personally and chat about where that's heading which was pretty cool.  The one other bit of kit that really caught my interest was the water  desalination set up at one of the stands - very much reduced in size and price for an 80L/hr set up from the systems I had seen previously (but still just a tad too big for a rig like mine) - nevertheless it triggered a really good discussion between the owner of the business and Wayno (control systems background) and myself (Chem Eng background) about what would a 5-10L/hr set up look like. Who knows where this will lead to but I will be staying in touch with that co ... 

The fresh water bloke had the best sales line I have heard in a while. Picture this - a well to do couple walk up to his stand, and ask him what does this do - his answer: "unlimited fresh water onboard to wash you hair with luv" .... 😂

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962

Did you see the boat outside on the pontoons with the twin 600HP Verados on it. Yikes. Another with quad 450’s

Smaller than last year but I came down from up the coast and caught up with a couple of mates who I haven’t seen for a few months and went together. Great day out for us. There seemed more boats out on the wharfs/pontoons but I may be mistaken.

I was looking for a boat.

• Like 2

I wash watching the tv and they were looking at one of those super yacht things - 13 mill buys you a floating mansion complete with heated decks , think i will keep my money and buy a pair of ugg boots :074:

although i think the spa on the rear deck would make a great livie tank !

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Blackfish said:

Did you see the boat outside on the pontoons with the twin 600HP Verados on it. Yikes. Another with quad 450’s

Smaller than last year but I came down from up the coast and caught up with a couple of mates who I haven’t seen for a few months and went together. Great day out for us. There seemed more boats out on the wharfs/pontoons but I may be mistaken.

I was looking for a boat.

Yes ... there are some seriously impressive rigs there - Wayno and I kept say ... "yup ... I can afford the fuel to start that one !"

Cheers Z

• Haha 4

I went Thursday, found it very disappointing after a 5hr drive. I believe the costs for exhibitors is extremely high which has put off smaller exhibits. As for the boat show discounts, I found the items I enquired on were way higher than shop prices. It will be my last visit to the Sydney boat show.

• Like 2

Spoke to my mate who went, said it was total waste of time, way too small, no “specials” too expensive by the time, traveling, parking and food were all taken into account, happy I only go now and then and I went last year.

• Like 1