Sydney Boat Show

antonywardle

Yes much smaller and you have to buy tickets online - not selling them at the gate .It is at the international conference centre and iirc you now have to pay for children as well ☹️

I think the boat shows days are numbered, too expensive for exhibitors, very little value for the public these days, bit of a shame really, having worked at the show years ago when it was a real “event”.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, XD351 said:

Yes much smaller and you have to buy tickets online - not selling them at the gate .It is at the international conference centre and iirc you now have to pay for children as well ☹️

Kids under 12 are free

Kids under 16 are free if accompanied by a paying adult , can’t see anywhere on their website for kids under12 .

My mistake , I should have worded it differently to show this .

IMG_0129.thumb.png.b52f4cb3b38853c180dfb5a6623dca46.png

Edited by XD351

Sort of sucks if you are a 15yr old mad keen fisho kid and just want to go and look at the boats and the fishing shows with a mate . Maybe $10 entry I could cop but not what they are charging . I wouldn’t even want to guess how expensive the food and drinks are !

Edited by XD351

4 minutes ago, XD351 said:

Sort of sucks if you are a 15yr old mad keen fisho kid and just want to go and look at the boats and the fishing shows with a mate . Maybe $10 entry I could cop but not what they are charging . I wouldn’t even want to guess how expensive the food and drinks are !

yeah its exxie, if you're going by yourself but I don't think its too bad, $25 for me and my two kids to go with me

Guys honestly I do not get what the negative comments are about. I just went back and checked and the first personalised email I received about the boat show was dated  04.04.2023. That's 4 months ahead of the event when they sent me a personal email. The event has been online and advertised ! .... I may have received my email invite because I attended the last one and they had my email ... but nevertheless they were reaching out and publicising the event 4 months ahead. 

All these events run on consumer participation. During the COVID years we were all complaining about the impact on our life and the cancellation of the boat show etc etc etc ... and yet here we are post COVID and I see a lot of comments bagging out the event when the retailers are doing their best to get us out of our chairs into these venues.

Yes, the tickets are online only (so is just about every other event in Sydney), and guess what ... there is even an App you can download, with all the exhibitors and locations listed so you can plan your visit to the event ahead of time. Its online ... just like DECKEE.  Some may complain about this but I see it as a lower cost, lower waste way to make available what we need to know. Hopefully so we can have more events.

Personally, even though I have my "forever" boat I decided to go and purchased my tickets a while back ... infact there was a 2 for one online special which I took advantage of. 

Despite all the online stores, youtube and virtual reviews.... I find there is a lot of value in seeing, holding, touching and discussing the new tech ... and unless you want everything to end up online it takes our participation to keep these types of events going.

I'm in Melbourne at the moment visiting my daughters .... but I will be back to check out the Sydney show either Thursday or Friday.

Cheers Zoran

PS - just my 2c worth.

• Like 2

agree Z as being a prior customer and sign up member last year of mulpha events which run it now. i got offered 1/2 price tickets  (presale) as long as i bought in may this year my tickets cost $14.50 each cheers dunc333

• Like 1

After a few years of not being able to go I plan on heading there over the weekend.  It adds up by the time you add in the other costs but $32.50 for another year of daydreams 💭sounds ok to me. 

Last time I went I purchased the cheaper late entry (after 5pm ?) tickets which doesn't appear to be an option this year with online ticket sales.

• Like 2

I don’t know about boat show, what it like etc as I’m never going but someone said food prices.You get reamed for food anywhere you go not just the boat show.My mrs and boy paid $10 each for a potatoe peel on a stick at the local Easter show not long ago and I got the 💩 and drove home and left them there.

They’re charging people for food reasonable prices and there’s blatantly ripping them off!!! 

I’m no fool.

Enjoy your boat show fellas if that’s what floats your boat.

• Like 3

What is this about only being able to buy tickets online?? Just found out that they are not selling tickets on the day at the box office. I would have been extremely p1$$ed off if I'd rocked up as usual and tried to pay at the door. Now think I'm going to skip it this year.

image.thumb.png.224bdac3ffca48e6dc454e76dd375484.png

Just more cost cutting Derek !  

17 hours ago, Bennyg78 said:

Yep I think its a good day out, Love checking the boats out and theres usually a few deals on fishing gear to be had!

Not sure you can buy tackle there , you can’t buy a boat off the floor like before so you go there and put a deposit on it then pick it up from the dealer when it is ready - might be a week , might be 6 months depending on stock  . I think most of the dealers there are offering some sort of boat show sale at their yard so you don’t need to go to the show to get the same deal .Never been one for window shopping , more likely to decide to buy a new boat and wait for the discount cycle to start then go and buy it . If you are thinking of a new boat in the future , go to a few dealer websites and see if you can subscribe to their newsletter , they will tell you when the deals are coming up and in many cases they will do the same deal before the sale starts - within reason that is so maybe up to  a week before etc .

2 hours ago, XD351 said:

Just more cost cutting Derek !  

Not sure you can buy tackle there , you can’t buy a boat off the floor like before so you go there and put a deposit on it then pick it up from the dealer when it is ready - might be a week , might be 6 months depending on stock  . I think most of the dealers there are offering some sort of boat show sale at their yard so you don’t need to go to the show to get the same deal .Never been one for window shopping , more likely to decide to buy a new boat and wait for the discount cycle to start then go and buy it . If you are thinking of a new boat in the future , go to a few dealer websites and see if you can subscribe to their newsletter , they will tell you when the deals are coming up and in many cases they will do the same deal before the sale starts - within reason that is so maybe up to  a week before etc .

You can definitely buy rods and tackle at the show and take them home with you

• Like 1

Well, I just went through the entire list of exhibitors and nothing stands out as one that sells or makes fishing tackle , you can probably buy sounders and the like but this show isn’t like the boating , fishing and camping super shows like we had in the past . I think that anything you buy will turn up via courier or via the post a week or two after the show ends , from what I can see there isn’t room for exhibitors to keep any stock on the floor . One exhibitor I know of is only taking half the amount of boats there they did a few years back - there isn’t enough room from what I  heard .

1 hour ago, onearmedfisho said:

On another note how does one expect to buy a boat and take it home with you from the show??? Trailer needs to be registered and how would you think you could get your car in to tow it home 🤣🤣🤣

Just imagine the empty stalls on Sunday with the dealers saying nothing to see here we sold them yesterday but trust me and sign here 😆

• Like 1