Bonus Bonnies

On Saturday I ventured off shore with SWMBO, primarily to find whales, which we did.  Pro Tip: Watch where the whale watching boats go!  After watching whales for a bit, we headed back inshore, and en route to the cliffs south of South Head, both trolling rods went off in quick session, with what turned out to be 2 bonito.  No pics or measurements, but I estimate they were in the 40cm range.  So that was a sushi starter sorted for Saturday evening.  I've always thought of bonito as a summer fish, so this was a pleasant surprise (although I have seen on here that others have been catching bonito through the winter).  These two were caught around 2km out, maybe even a bit more, and I saw that water temps where the whales were cruising were a full degree C warmer than closer in shore.  I am hoping that bonito will continue to be found further out, 'cause I am hoping for more whale spotting trips.

Drifted around the artificial reef for no action, and then anchored up closer in shore where I caught:

An undersized trevally (caught on a small complete and just alive squid that one of the bonito puked up).

A wirra cod

A rock cod

all of which were thrown back. 

• Like 9

The bonnies have stayed for longer than usual this year.

There is a warm current travelling south (a bit early this year) a bit of distance off the coast, and the temp is around 21 degrees.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Larkin said:

Nice catch!

plenty of whales out there - they were everywhere around 4-6 weeks ago. I’m still  seeing 4-5 every time I head out. So still some good whale watching out there.

We didn't see as many whales as we saw around 6 weeks ago, but 2 weeks ago we didn't see any.

It seems that the southward migration has now begun, so the highway should start to get busy again soon.  From what I have read, there are likely to be calves on the southward migration, and mothers with calves swim closer to the shore. 

1 minute ago, jenno64 said:

Go the Bonnies!

Hellz yeah!

They are absolutely my fave fish to catch, love 'em to bits.  Hard fighters, no discernible scales to bother with which makes them easy to clean, great eating and the leftover bits make good bait.