The danger of being silly….

noelm

I was just in the garage trying to free up a seized bolt, after a while I thought “bugger it” and got the grinder out, it’s only one bolt, I will just hold it while I cut it with a thin disc in the battery grinder (what could possibly go wrong?) anyway, 10 seconds later, the grinder “grabbed” flung the bolt and terminal into orbit, and put an ever so neat slice in my thumb! So here I sit, with a paw patrol band aid (grand kids) wrapped around it wondering why I was so stupid, no safety glasses, nothing……damn

• Haha 1
  • Sad 7

Not good.

A couple of years ago, an elderly neighbour wanted to trim one branch off a small tree, so he used the electric saw. The saw kicked back on a knot in the branch, he lost control and the blade cut into his inner wrist. Lucky not to cut his hand off, or bleed to death. Took a long time to recover at his age.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

You got off lucky , had a mate hold onto a piece of aluminium bar and try  to cut it with a grinder fitted with a small saw blade - it dug in and flung the grinder into his face , it cut through his jawbone and narrowly missed his jugular .

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I guess we have all been a bit silly with grinders etc If we care to admit it., I know I have had a few cuts and a few close shaves at major damage. 

I often take short cuts and with better luck than management most of the time I come out without damage

My old age is teaching me to take things a little more cautiously of late.

Small cuts and bruises heal without permanent damage but it's the BIG hurt you need to be worried about.

Frank

• Like 3

Yep, it’s just how it is I guess, it was just one bolt in a battery terminal, I change them to stainless, but, somehow I must have missed this one, I got the terminal off and fiddled around for ages trying to get the bolt out, so out came the grinder, it did grind a nice groove in my finger nail on the other finger too, they cut so neat those thin blades……

Edited by noelm
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, frankS said:

I guess we have all been a bit silly with grinders etc If we care to admit it., I know I have had a few cuts and a few close shaves at major damage. 

I often take short cuts and with better luck than management most of the time I come out without damage

My old age is teaching me to take things a little more cautiously of late.

Small cuts and bruises heal without permanent damage but it's the BIG hurt you need to be worried about.

Frank

Totally agree with you on this one Frank. Hand tools can be bloody dangerous when we least expect them to be. bn

1 hour ago, XD351 said:

You got off lucky , had a mate hold onto a piece of aluminium bar and try  to cut it with a grinder fitted with a small saw blade - it dug in and flung the grinder into his face , it cut through his jawbone and narrowly missed his jugular .

Aluminium tends to grab disks. Generally, it's best to use grinders for grinding as posts here indicate. 

The worst i copped was using a wire wheel on a big buffing machine to clean up a bus bar at work years ago , it bit in and dragged my wrist into the wheel and took most of the skin off my wrist at the back of my palm - this was the last day before Christmas holidays and i spent the next 4 week’s nursing the damned thing while on holidays at Narooma - couldn’t  swim because I couldn’t  get it wet , had a mongrel of a time fishing coz it hurt like hell and when it dried out the scab would crack and bleed . Same machine got me when i was buffing a casing of a ship clock - grabbed it , flung it into my face and broke my nose  - i now hated that damned machine and avoided it as best i could and i wore a face shield after that. Almost cut my thumb  in  two on a milling machine a few years back - was using a brush to clear away swarf and being impatient i did so before the cutter had stopped rotating , the cutter caught my thumbnail and fed it in between the cutter and machine vice - cut a nice groove through my thumbnail almost down to the bone - won’t do that again !

• Sad 3

Yeah, it was so neat, pretty deep, but looks like a surgeon cut it with a scalpel. Those super thin disc, spinning at a million RPM just go “zzzzip” and you have a “slit” never mind, it’s a life experience…….

• Like 1

7 hours ago, noelm said:

I was just in the garage trying to free up a seized bolt, after a while I thought “bugger it” and got the grinder out, it’s only one bolt, I will just hold it while I cut it with a thin disc in the battery grinder (what could possibly go wrong?) anyway, 10 seconds later, the grinder “grabbed” flung the bolt and terminal into orbit, and put an ever so neat slice in my thumb! So here I sit, with a paw patrol band aid (grand kids) wrapped around it wondering why I was so stupid, no safety glasses, nothing……damn

That's the best story I've heard all day, gotta love cutting corners 

• Like 1

Yeah.... well... I sit here and think how stupid you all have been... and then look at ring and index finger, left hand... where the chain saw 'got me'......

2 weeks ago......  luckily (i'm tuff....😒) it was all only superficial- no stitches-still got fingers...

Now that I think of it a bit more... thats the same ring finger that got caught in the 40ton wood splitter a few years ago..... and the one I had operated on for 'mallet finger' in my football days (around 40 years ago...)       Perhaps it wants to escape my body......

Edited by dmck
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

There’s two ways we learn how to do things. Obviously you chose method 2.

Good to hear it was just a nick.

Actually there is three ways of doing things - the right way , the wrong way and something in between way -aka winging it 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by XD351
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3