One nice Kraken

jenno64

Headed out into Botany Bay early arvo with my better half after checking the forecast. Didn’t have an option as my outboard has been playing up with an alarm over 3000 revs so stayed within a km of the ramp.

Wind was up more than predicted but we had a couple of drifts for a green eye or 2. Only nabbed the one as the drift was so fast we were 200m from the hookup spot by the time the hood was landed. Normally I lob another jig out behind the first hookup and it’s happy days. Hood went 36cm so a meal has been prepared for tomorrow…squid risotto coming up 😜

IMG_3655.jpeg

IMG_3129.jpeg

• Like 22

30 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Headed out into Botany Bay early arvo with my better half after checking the forecast. Didn’t have an option as my outboard has been playing up with an alarm over 3000 revs so stayed within a km of the ramp.

Wind was up more than predicted but we had a couple of drifts for a green eye or 2. Only nabbed the one as the drift was so fast we were 200m from the hookup spot by the time the hood was landed. Normally I lob another jig out behind the first hookup and it’s happy days. Hood went 36cm so a meal has been prepared for tomorrow…squid risotto coming up 😜

IMG_3655.jpeg

IMG_3129.jpeg

Just as a matter of interest, is the outboard a Yamaha two stroke?

It’s a very common Yamaha “feature” to over heat over about 3-4,000RPM, the cooling passages are very small and get blocked quite easily. Have you have had a complete water pump kit recently, and if so, was it genuine parts and a full kit, not just the impeller? 

Edited by noelm

13 hours ago, noelm said:

It’s a very common Yamaha “feature” to over heat over about 3-4,000RPM, the cooling passages are very small and get blocked quite easily. Have you have had a complete water pump kit recently, and if so, was it genuine parts and a full kit, not just the impeller? 

I'm waiting to get it over to my Minn Kota mechanic as he services it. Hope it's only a water pump or a sensor!

13 hours ago, Yowie said:

A good sized squiddly there Rob, need 2 hands to hold it.

Quite the beast Dave. The wind was up and it uncomfortable so good to take one home after a short session.

6 minutes ago, kantong said:

check out those tentacles! great catch!

Yep its was a beast 800mm from hood to candles. I have diced it up ready for a risotto tonight!

• Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 1:16 PM, big Neil said:

Trust you will enjoy your risotto meal. Hope you're able to get the motor issue resolved, nothing worse than being apprehensive about the motor when out fishing. Good luck.

bn

Thanks BN

dropping off the boat on Saturday, fingers crossed it's not too exy!

On 8/21/2023 at 10:08 PM, Larkin said:

When you get one that size, don’t need a second. Gotta be happy with that! 👍

Yep, a lot of of weight!!

On 8/22/2023 at 7:45 AM, Little_Flatty said:

They’re no calamari rings, they’re calamari tyres!🤣

Well done!

That's why I diced it up otherwise too thick!

On 8/22/2023 at 11:41 AM, GordoRetired said:

Risotto! ! ! Thats a great Jewwie bait. 🙂

I've got some strips tucked away in the freezer:)

risotto.jpg

• Like 1