Big trout in a small dam

I spent a weekend recently with a few mates on a farm near Armidale. They have a couple of dams stocked with trout and you can hire cottages right on the water. First time doing this sort of fishing and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Most of the rainbow trout we hooked were between two and three pounds - they pulled hard and put on some impressive aerobatics. We hooked a couple that were far bigger than 3 pounds but I reckon we put too much pressure on them and pulled the hooks - we should have taken more time.

Anyway, a great weekend and a good way to get a fix of trout fishing while the rivers are closed.

Here's a short video of the highlights if you're interested...

Tight lines

Jason

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

How great is this sport that we are all pursuing Jason? To be able to have that sort of experience in various parts of this magnificent country is GOLD. To add that these fish are an introduced species and that many people classify them as an unwanted species is incredulous.

Great video that captures your amazing experience in an incredibly beautiful part of NSW.

As an aside...have you fly-fished for Luderick? 

Thanks for your post, bn

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2023 at 6:51 AM, big Neil said:

How great is this sport that we are all pursuing Jason? To be able to have that sort of experience in various parts of this magnificent country is GOLD. To add that these fish are an introduced species and that many people classify them as an unwanted species is incredulous.

Great video that captures your amazing experience in an incredibly beautiful part of NSW.

As an aside...have you fly-fished for Luderick? 

Thanks for your post, bn

Thanks for watching 🙂 Yes I have fly fished for luderick around the Nelson Bay breakwalls. Only caught a couple so far - very keen to do more of it...

On 9/29/2023 at 2:36 PM, minnowm said:

Ngl armidale sounds like a fantastic fishing spot!  Those big trout must have been a real challenge.BTW did you try any specific bait or flies that worked best for you?

We caught most of the trout and nymphs which are small flies you fish sub surface. We fished them using a dry dropper rig where you have a floating fly on the top of the water and you suspend a nymph underneath. I use that approach when I fish Blue Mountains streams as well to cover both options - sometimes trout will take the surface fly, other times the nymph. Each way bet 🙂

• Like 1