kayak fishing lake illawarra

fredflathead

Yes, definitely take it. Don’t stay in the channel, prospect the weed bank edges, and if you take it to other ramps, check out the smaller creeks running into the lake. Take a Nipper pump if you bait fish, or the little tackle shop on the eastern side of the highway is great for fresh bait.

edit……October is starting to get into crab time too, a couple of traps (tricky in a “yak”) or a handline with a fish frame should see you get a few.

Edited by noelm

1 hour ago, fredflathead said:

Great Noelm, I have a nipper pump and crab traps what about prawning  Staying at Windang Tourist Park so I am close to the water, thanks for the information.

Just a note, the current rips through there now, so when yakking, keep an eye on the flow if east of the bridge.

10 hours ago, fredflathead said:

Great Noelm, I have a nipper pump and crab traps what about prawning  Staying at Windang Tourist Park so I am close to the water, thanks for the information.

Good park to stay at Norm. Park is fully fenced and you get a code to use to go out pedestrian gates.

It is perfect for kayaking and fishing usually. 
Last time we stayed there we got nothing in our tinny though! There is a boat ramp on-site. 

Go across to the Windang Bowling Club (Club Windang) for dinner. 
IMG_3023.jpeg

Our ensuite site was huge and fitted caravan, boat and car. 

IMG_3187.jpeg

IMG_3117.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Came down to Windang and stayed in the Windang Tourist Park. Arrived on Monday and staying for 2weeks, went out in the kayak twice, no luck with the fishing however on Saturday night whilst asleep someone came under the awning of the caravan and stole my 2 spinning rods and stuffed up the whole trip.

• Sad 4

14 hours ago, fredflathead said:

Came down to Windang and stayed in the Windang Tourist Park. Arrived on Monday and staying for 2weeks, went out in the kayak twice, no luck with the fishing however on Saturday night whilst asleep someone came under the awning of the caravan and stole my 2 spinning rods and stuffed up the whole trip.

I believe there are a lot of drug addicts and homeless people live in that park, on long term residency, placed there by the government services that arrange that sort of thing.   Thats what Ive heard.   Seems like it may be true from your experience.

15 hours ago, fredflathead said:

Ugh suggest you never leave anything outside your caravan these days, especially not fishing gear. 

18 minutes ago, Derny Driver said:

I believe there are a lot of drug addicts and homeless people live in that park, on long term residency, placed there by the government services that arrange that sort of thing.   Thats what Ive heard.   Seems like it may be true from your experience.

Not sure there are any permanent resident sites in that park. Definately no long term. 
Where did you hear that @Derny Driver

6 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Not sure there are any permanent resident sites in that park. Definately no long term. 
Where did you hear that @Derny Driver

I live locally and Ive heard this from a few people. It would only be "temporary" crisis accommodation but since there is nowhere for these people, many have been there for years.

Now I dont know for certain which is why I did not say anything earlier. I dont want people not to go there because of rumours.

The only thing worse than getting your fishing gear flogged is getting ya grog stolen ! My gear gets locked in the car as soon as i get back to the park/ campground , the sounder comes out along with anything else that can be unloaded at the local hock shop . 

Shame I missed the date you were here, I could have loaned you some gear to keep you fishing. Lots of Salmon on almost all the beaches at the moment, would have been easy to walk over and get a few.

edit…….hang on, are you still there?

Edited by noelm